x
Admin

☀️ Seasonal Businesses: Get ready to re-open for spring/summer 2020!

Spring is here! (OK, it’s not ‘officially’ spring at the time of writing, but it’s very very close.) 

Are you preparing to reopen your business for the summer/spring? Are you gearing up for your busy season and looking for a way to accept cards or an additional point of sale? Do you use Square for spring/summer fairs? Well this post is for you! 

Some of the highlights from the last year include a new all-in-one card processing POS Square Terminal, a new Square Online Store, and the ability to accept Debit Chip & PIN cards. For more details read our Product Update Highlights 2019 thread. 

We’re here to help you accept sales whatever the season! Here's what we'll cover in this thread:

☀️ Your Square account: Download the app, reset your password

I haven’t used my Square account in a long time - is it still active?

Yes! Even if you signed up days/weeks/months/years ago you do not need to create a new account. Your account will still be active and you can sign in with the same email address and password combination that you used to create your account way back when. 

How do I download the Point of Sale app to my phone? 

1. Open the App Store or Google Play Store on your device and search for ‘Square Point of Sale’. 
  2. Tap Get or Install or tap Update. (If you see Open the app is already on your device and it’s up to date!) 
  3. Sign in with your email address and password.

Download the Square app on your Android device:

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 11.29.41.png

Download the Square app on your iPhone or iPad:

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 11.30.38.png

It’s been a while and I’ve forgotten my password!

You can reset your password quicky from the app or from squareup.com/login. Tap Sign In > then tap Forgot Password and we’ll send a password reset link to the email address associated with your account. Review Square’s password requirements before setting a new password! Watch this video for the steps to update your Square accont password.

I don’t know the email address for my Square account. What should I do?

Contact us by email and our support team will help you to call in! 

☀️ Using your Square hardware: Get a reader or Point of Sale

I can’t find my Square reader, how do I get a new one? 

Visit the Square shop to buy a new Square reader — they take about a week to arrive. If you need a reader ASAP you can buy one in retail stores. Visit https://squareup.com/ca/en/where-to-buy to find a retail location near you. To accept debit cards you’ll need the Contactless and Chip Card reader or the Square Terminal

I think I lost my reader, can I borrow my friend’s? 

Yes! Square readers are not tied to a specific account or employee so you can use any reader to take payments. Just sign in with the email address and password associated with your account, — and sign out when you’re finished! 

I have the free magstripe reader, should I purchase a chip card reader? 

There are many benefits to having a Contactless and Chip Card reader! You can now accept Debit Chip & PIN and contactless payments such as Apple Pay and Google Pay.

What type of cable can I use to charge my Contactless and Chip Card reader?

If you’ve lost the charging for your Contactless and Chip Card reader you can buy a replacement from lots of stores — they are widely available — just ask for a micro USB cable.

Is financing available for hardware from the Square Shop?

Yes! If your Square Shop order subtotal is over $59 you can choose to pay in installments

☀️ Managing your Square account subscription services

Do I need to link my bank account again to my existing Square account?  

If you haven’t used your Square account in a while it’s a good idea to review which bank account is linked. From your online Square Dashboard click Account & Settings > Bank Account. Need to remove an old bank account from your Square account? Contact us.

If I make changes to my item library/categories will it change my reporting? 

Making a change to your item library (e.g. removing an item) will not alter your reporting. 

Can I delete everything in my inventory from last year? Will that take a long time?

Here’s a workaround to make changes to your inventory in bulk: How to delete multiple items?

What about Square’s subscription services, do I have to pay for the entire year? 

• Team Management: If you subscribe to Team Management you’ll only be charged for active employees and you can deactivate an employee at any time. With Team Management, you’ll have free access to Team Permissions, a team-wide set of permissions across your account.
  • Square Loyalty: You can use Square Loyalty as your reward program for a single season  — just unsubscribe from your online Square Dashboard. If you unsubscribe none of your customer history (star/points) or program details will be lost. When you resubscribe next season you'll be able pick up where you left off!

☀️ Other general FAQs!

Is Square free?

It is free to create a Square account, Square’s fees are by payment type:

• 2.65% per card present transaction
  • 2.9% + 30¢ per paid Square Invoice
  • 3.4% + 15¢ for manually-entered payments
  • 2.9% + 30¢ for Online Store sales
  • Interac debit cards are processed at $0.10 per tap and have no other associated fees.

Will my account become inactive if I don’t use it for a season?

Your account will remain active and your reporting information will be available even if you don’t use your account for a long time!

☀️☀️☀️

To learn about new Square’s features subscribe to Product Updates and bookmark the website What’s New at Square?

Please post your questions below or start a new thread to share the challenges to running a a seasonal business and any tips!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 1
0 REPLIES 0