x
Admin

4 tips to Help you Manage and Delegate Responsibility

As the saying goes: If you need something done, ask a busy person. But if you are that busy person you’ll quickly realize that there are only 24 hours in a day (yes, really) and burning the candle at both ends will eventually take its toll on you and on your business. So it’s time to sit down and see what tasks you can ask someone else to take on. 

Delegating is easier said than done but the pros (more time to grow your business and do the work you love!) far outweigh the cons (the stress of a never ending to-do list). Here are some delegating tips to get started.

1. Identify what tasks you can delegate

As a business owner, you know there are hundreds of small tasks that need to be done every day. Make a list of the small tasks that take up a lot of time or that you find yourself doing late at night because you just couldn’t get around to it during the day. Could an employee, part time or full time, fit this task into their schedule and free you of the distraction? 

2. Decide who you can delegate to

Identify employees who are interested in taking on more responsibility. If you haven’t hired any employees yet, look at your network — are their friends or family members that could help? Maybe someone in your community is looking for work experience? Could you stretch to hiring someone on part time? For example, you could pay someone to spend 1-2 hours each day to responding customer service messages, or to manage your social media accounts. Or it could be as simple as hiring a cleaner to come in once a week. Yes you will have to spend money on part-time labor but it will allows you to accomplish more — you'll have more time to make more sales, to create more products, or explore new markets. Delegating can be well worth the investment. 

3. Change your mindset to see delegating as a good thing! 

Are you worried that if you delegate a job to someone that they will mess it up? Or it’ll take too long to explain it to them and you’re better off doing it yourself? Yes, there is a chance that the employee you delegate to will make a mistake on their first or second attempt. They are human after all! But ultimately it is worth taking this risk. Try to see delegating not only as a benefit to you but as a benefit for your employees: it’s training opportunity, a chance for employees to learn new skills, take on more responsibility, and advance their own career. What’s more, in time, the person you train can train someone else to do the same task and on and on as you build your team, and grow your business.

4. Set clear goals and a deadline

Once you’ve decided what to delegate and who is going to help make sure you define the task clearly. Describe why the task is important, outline each step or actually demonstrate the task if you can (ideally the delegatee can watch you do it at least once), and determine when the task should be completed. Setting a deadline or a date/time that you'll follow up with the delegatee isvery important. A deadline will help the them manage their own schedule and to get the job done on time for you! 

There you have it! There are countless other small ways you can delegate tasks in your daily working life — if you have a quick tip to share click Reply below. We’d love to hear more! 

cat_work_giphy.gif

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller Alumni

These really are a bunch of fantastic tips! Thanks so much for taking the time to write & put this together, @Helen !

Delegating is definitely a problem that I've had - as I'm sure a whole lot of business owners have! - and I'm actively working to get over it.

The big thing that changed for me is realizing that my time is more valuable, and my sanity even moreso. I realized that I can delegate low level tasks that I hate doing anyway, and even if it costs me that hourly rate of having someone else do it, plus the time to teach someone how to do it my way (the right way), it's absolutely worth the time and energy and mental wellbeing savings!

I focused a lot this past year on delegating those types of tasks, and while the initial training was frustrating and took a long time, I've been reaping the rewards this year, and I've had such a great easier year! 

In one case, I had a great employee who worked the front of my shop last year, but got a full time job with his family, so couldn't return. I offered him a much less time intensive gig helping me with some small tasks sporadically, and he thankfully accepted and has been a huge help!

And I'll definitely keep refining by using your tips here! 

Thanks again!
Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 3
Admin

Thanks for sharing @pessosices — and you're so right, your time and *sanity* are very important!

Training sounds tough, was there anything in particular that was tricky or was it that it took up a lot of your time? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 3