x
Square

5 tips to help spot phishing scams

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks so much for making & sharing this!

Love the format!

Is there any way of getting rid of the super invasive ad before it though?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 8
Square

Thanks for pointing that out, @pessosices! Just updated the link; let me know if you spot anything out of sorts.

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

Message 4 of 8
Square

Eek, thanks for letting me know @VanKalkerFarms; for some reason it was working in preview but didn't work in real time. Reverted back to the original format for now, and will work on a different way to address your point, @pessosices

Message 5 of 8
Square

Should be good to go! Thanks again. Please let us know if anything looks off going forward.

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Perfect!! Thanks for taking care of that!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 7 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

credit card.jpg

This is a screenshot of one of my favorite *sarcasm* phishing scams.  No, they are not pretending to BE Square, but if one were to take the bait, you would be dealing with Square's Customer Service to no avail.

We've had people attempt to used this scam multiple times.  The first time it was tried, we actually responded to the email, but red flags were going up as soon as the conversation continued.

The scammer will ask if you accept credit cards.  If you reply "yes," the scammer will then proceed to inquire about placing a large order.  They will even have credit card information available.  The catch is that they will tell you that they want a courier to pick the order up, that the courier only accepts cash, and ask you to run the card for the extra courier fee and give the courier the cash. 
What @Lexi pointed out in her video is true in the above screenshot.  Check the spelling and grammar.  Better yet, how about that name?  If the order sounds to good to be true, and they're asking you to do something out of the ordinary, question it.

Message 8 of 8