x

How to collect cash/pay in-store for Square Online site orders?

How to collect cash/pay in-store for Square Online site orders?

Good afternoon Seller Community ! 

Today I want to discuss a new feature that should be talked about that will be a great tool for businesses all over. I have written down many ideas based on obstacles my restaurant @CooksKitchn have faced during this journey using square as our number one POS system. I want to discuss a feature allowing customers to select a " pay with cash" option making purchases online. All business owners know that cash is king, and there are a lot of people out there that prefer to use cash rather than charge, not to mention with the increase of cash transactions we limit the amount of fraud purchases and bank disputes that have to be performed on a regular basis if you have a busy online store. I believe that customers should be able to select pay with cash when either choosing to pick up or placing an order for delivery. With an option for no show protection to the business, customers will be required to leave a card on file incase their product or service was never fulfilled we will be able to charge the customer either a full or percentage of the product. Yes we will take the risk of customers not having funds on that card and the transactions potentially being declined but its another huge step towards success for as Square users. Please consider this as an option during online checkout to maximize sales for businesses all over.

Ceo 

Dashawn Cook

[The title of this thread has been edited by moderator from its original: Collecting Cash for Online Store Purchases]

4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Paying cash at time of order pick up

Hey @rae16,

I moved your post and this entire thread to an existing feature request thread for this.

It's not something you can do at this time. I don't have a timeline on when it would become a thing but you should join our Beta Community where you can potentially test out new features first when they're released!

Verified Answer

Re: cash at checkout

Hi @deltaelevator,

We really appreciate your feedback on this feature request. While we cannot provide a public timeline on the status of this request, please know that we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to manually add orders under Online > Orders?

Hi! Great question. There isn't a way to manually add orders to that page specifically, but you have a couple options to accept payment over the phone depending on how you want to run your system. 

1: You can manually accept the card over the phone through either Virtual Terminal or the Point of Sale app. This is the easiest way and will allow you to track inventory. If you need an order ticket to print, you will need to use the Point of Sale app and make an open ticket for the order. 

2: You can create an invoice for them on the dashboard or app and email it to them right after the call is over. Again, this will track inventory, but will not print an order ticket or appear on your Orders Dashboard. 

Verified Answer

Re: cash at checkout

Hi there, @exotictouch!

At this time, orders placed through your Square Online website must be paid for online. I've moved your post to an existing thread where this discussion is taking place, and where we're tracking requests for the ability to pay in person for online orders. 

The most common way that I've historically encountered businesses accepting cash payments for online orders are via invoices and/or phone orders. Have you considered offering a "phone-in" option through your Square Online website? This is likely the most tried and true method by which to accept cash payment for an order. I saw @BBTH's post here, and I thought up another workaround that would enable you to accept cash for pickup and delivery orders.

Workaround: You can add a banner to your main page letting your customers know that you are accepting cash payments:

I'd recommend adding a button to your banner here, as shown above "Call now to order".

This could take your customer to a couple of places:

• I recommend having this button link to your Contact page, as shown above. 
  • You can alternatively opt to include a Phone link in your button. Keep in mind, this link will direct your customer to the actual phone portion of their phone and automatically dial your phone number, so this will not work on a laptop or desktop computer.

Here's an example of how you could clarify how your customer are able to pay using cash:

Once you get a call - or email - placing an order, you can put the order into the Square Point of Sale app using the open tickets feature. You can accept the order as if it was in-person, and print or close the ticket at the time of delivery/pickup.

We hope that this workaround helps a few businesses in this thread! 😊

185 Comments

How can I allow customers to place an order through my online store, but pay for it in cash at the time of pick up?  Placing the order seems to require a CC payment. 

Did anyone answer this?

Square

Apologies for the delay, @GetMomuffins and @shefarmer, wish I'd seen your post sooner.

There isn't currently a way to mark online orders as paid in-store, though I can see how that would be useful. However, it is something we offer with our Invoices, so you might consider sending an Invoice to customers who wish to do this; but the order details would have to be gathered via email or other communication. 

In the meantime I'll this post with our online store team, so thanks for the feedback!

How do I add a "CASH" option to my online store? I want to be able to track everyone that is wanting to attend my classes through my online store but not all of my students are going to pay with a card, how do i give them the option to pay with cash at the end of the transaction? 

Square

Thanks for posting, @mediczimmerman

There isn't an option to accept "cash" payments through your Square Online Store, unfortunately. We're not currently developing this feature, but I'll happily update this thread, should that change in the future. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Beta Member

I need this feature as well. Most of my meal service customers or online orders for the food cart customers pay ahead by credit card, but a few regulars would like to pay on pick-up. Not being able to offer this option seems clunky to me and to my customers (I have to manually take an order, or come up with an alternate form for them to use), and it's making me think that maybe I need to use a different store to take payments going forward. Please consider adding this ordinary and practical feature.

I would also love this feature! Since customers cannot choose to pay with cash/check on the online ordering system, I'm forced to turn to another website platform that enables this kind of transaction. 

Square Community Moderator

@sydney_paulina Thanks for sharing your interest in this feature. 

There aren't any updates on this as of right now, but we'll let you all know if this changes. 

I also need a CASH option for the online store.

Alumni

Hi @MSBDivas - No updates on this for the time being, but thanks for taking the time to add your voice.