x

Advertising texts from Square?

Yesterday I received three texts from (844)211-4330 that claim to be Square.  I guess I prefer this to be spoofed as receiving unsolicited text advertising on a business phone from Square could be a deal killer.  I am not going to reply with "END" given the spoofing likelihood.

Square or no?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @pstrisik, I think @GlassJudy is right it doesn't sound like this text message is from Square — we don't typically advertize by SMS and I'm not aware of any current campaigns that involve text messages.

If you haven't already you can delete the text. I'm sorry for the concern this caused.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

In my opinion, it's probably a spoof.  I've never known Square to communicate by text message - they will typically communicate via email or through these boards.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 7
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @pstrisik, I think @GlassJudy is right it doesn't sound like this text message is from Square — we don't typically advertize by SMS and I'm not aware of any current campaigns that involve text messages.

If you haven't already you can delete the text. I'm sorry for the concern this caused.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 7

Thanks to both of you.  I think spoof is correct.  It was for a coffee company in Grand Junction Colorado. 

The first text was:  Welcome to SMS messages from Square - Reply w/ "HELP" for more or "END" to unsubscribe from receiving messages, std rates apply 

Two more after that with links.  One example:  You just got your first 1 Star from The Coffee Trader Grand Junction! View program details: https://gosq.mxxxxxx

(url obscured).

Googling the phone number yielded nothing.  I will assume spam/spoof.

Message 4 of 7
Admin

Thank you! Hmm that does sound a lot like the text messages when someone enrolls in Square Loyalty (Square's rewards feature).

However, the text message would say 'STOP' to unsubscribe and the URL looks strange - the link should clearly indicate it's connected to the coffee shop/store using Square Loyalty. Thanks again for flagging this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 7

I got the same thing first two texts were from 833-239-7502. Saying,

Welcome to SMS messages from Square - Reply w/ "HELP" for more or "END" to unsubscribe from receiving messages, std rates apply.                      And.                                     View your receipt from La Monarca Bakery: https://squareup.com/r/rQHFNRKSF65MBQR?sms=1 Reply to send a message to La Monarca Bakery.          

And then immediately after, I received two more texts from 844-804-3323. Saying,

Welcome to SMS messages from Square - Reply w/ "HELP" for more or "END" to unsubscribe from receiving messages, std rates apply

And

You can now track La Monarca Bakery Points in Cash App: https://cash.app/u/DAj3yhui Text END to opt out

I didn't sign up for square or even know of a La Monarca Bakery.

The scariest part was my actual cash app showed reward points added and then taken off.

What do I do next?

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Lawestdyke

Welcome to the Community. 

It sounds like another customer could have added your number by mistake if it was similar to their own. 

Getting you removed from the Loyalty program would be done by contacting the bakery itself. Removing them from your Cash App, you would have to reach out to Cash App directly. 

Open your Cash App and tap "Cash Support" from your profile. You can also reach them at https://cash.app/contact. Or you can reach out to them on their Facebook page:  squ.re/FBCashApp.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7