x

After updating software and ios, not all transcations are going through.

We've been having a very bad experience with Square.  

Our location is in a rural spot, about 15 minutes out of town.  Roughly, only half of our transactions are being accepted, the remainder with "transaction cancelled."  This is a HUGE headache for us and our customers, the majority of who are elderly and do not use online banking, and rely solely on being able to use their credit and debit cards.  I have already called in with this issue and was informed that the ios and software must be updated regularly, or deleted and reinstalled.  Is this REALLY the best option for today's technology?  I was not offered any compensation for our troubles either.  Often, we have had customers respond with, "How inconvenient" or "What a joke".  We run a reliable and stable business, and this issue is ruining our reputation.  We are limited in our choices for a mobile POS system because we do not have fiberoptic cable out here and must rely on wireless internet.

Any leads on a succussful wireless POS system would be helpful or perhaps an extrememly knowledgeable IT for square would be appreciated too.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

@rodlowen, when are you receiving this error? and where?  after swiping or dipping a card and waiting for the receipt screen, or somewhere else?  does it seem like it takes a really long time for the problematic transaction to be canceled?  are you given a button to retry, or a button in the top left in red to cancel or does it just come back and say transaction canceled like it would declined?  I haven't ever seen a transaction canceled screen unless I click the cancel transaction button.  a lot of the time the main issue is they lose connection and get stuck waiting for approval.  I'm not sure what support told you, was it to delete and reinstall the Square app? because that is always a good place to start, you won't lose any transaction or item history and should only take a few minutes.  reinstalling the OS sometimes is another step but usually not necessary but might be. 

I can tell you in our situation running multiple iPads all up to date on iOS12 and newest Square that we have processed 100's if not thousands of transactions and none have had issues.  

Message 2 of 8

We are currently unable to accept ANY debit cards.  This is very displeasing, not only to us, but our customers as well.

Please fix the issue as quickly as possible.  The 2 systmes were side by side.

Rod

IMG_6989.JPG

Message 3 of 8

Here's a short video.  

Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

@rodlowen, from what that Pic and video look like that transaction won't go thru because it is a BMO debit card and it needs to be tapped not dipped as the error is telling you and is working correctly.  also, debit cards can't be processed for more than $100, so even if you tapped it that would also not go thru.  unfortunately, that is the deal Square was able to get with Interac Flash-enabled debit cards in Canada and the banks, I'm sure they don't like the limitations but so far that is the best option that has come up because before that there was no accepting of debit cards.  

Also be careful as the debit card number can be fully read in the video.

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

Hey @rodlowen - @VanKalkerFarms is correct (thanks for the assist here!). Only Interac Flash-enabled debit cards in Canada can be accepted via tap method at this time and transactions must be $100 or under. Based on your video, the app and reader are working as intended. In the meantime, we recommend letting your customers know before service that jobs over $100 may require a credit card or cheque (if you accept them) to set their expectations before checkout. We understand the inconvenience this can cause you and your customer and will be passing on your feedback to our Point of Sale team.

As suggested above, we recommend removing the video to protect the customer's card information.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 8

how do I remove the video?

Message 7 of 8
Super Seller

Message 8 of 8