This year Square is working with American Express® to promote Shop Small by encouraging business like yours to sign up for the Shop Small® Map. By signing up for the Shop Small Map, you’ll automatically be entered to win a $10,000 small business makeover. And the first 45,000 sellers who sign up will receive a free Small Business Saturday Marketing Kit. This all just our way of saying thanks!
See below for more information and frequently asked questions.
What is the Shop Small® Movement?
Shop Small is a nationwide effort to support and celebrate small businesses every day and everywhere. Proudly backed by American Express, it’s a movement that backs all kinds of small businesses — whether it’s a corner store, local contractor, or online boutique. American Express has created Shop Small materials that can help your business stand out and reach and attract new customers throughout the year. You can find these materials here, and learn more about the Shop Small Movement here.
What is Small Business Saturday®?
Founded by American Express in 2010, Small Business Saturday is the cornerstone of American Express's Shop Small efforts. It is a special day when we can show our support as a nation for small business owners and our communities.
When is Small Business Saturday?
Small Business Saturday is celebrated every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This year, Small Business Saturday is on November 30th, 2019. Mark your calendar!
What is the Shop Small Map?
The Shop Small Map is a filtered experience within American Express Maps. The Shop Small Map only displays U.S. businesses that meet certain Shop Small eligibility criteria.
What businesses are qualified to appear on the Shop Small Map?
To appear on the Shop Small Map, Merchants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be an American Express Card accepting Merchant;
- You must be located in the 50 United States, District of Columbia, American Samoa, Armed Forces Pacific, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. For brick-and-mortar businesses, this means that you must have at least one physical business location within these territories; for online-only businesses, this means that you must have a service area within these territories;
- You must have at least 1 but no more than 25 locations (for brick-and-mortar businesses) and have no more than $5M in American Express annual charge volume.
- You must not be part of a franchise brand that has more than 250 stores; Additionally, if a franchise brand has more than 25 corporate-owned stores, then the entire brand is excluded;
- You must be enabled to accept American Express Cards. Merchants who have been with us for more than 12 months must have had at least 1 transaction in the last calendar year.
- Businesses in these industries are excluded: Government agencies, public administration, gas stations and businesses located on the same premises as a gas station, travel agencies, charities, non-profits, peer-to-peer payments, crowdfunding, trade associations, shopping property management companies, direct sellers, and political organizations;
For more information on eligibility, see here.
How do I add my business to the map?
Follow the steps below to add your business to the map:
- Go to americanexpress.com/loginshopsmall
- Enter you Tax ID
- If your federal Tax ID was not used to set up your Square account, please use the last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Enter your zip code
- Click “Log In”
How do I enter the sweepstakes?
You are entered automatically when you sign up for the Shop Small Map or Online Directory.
What is the prize?
You can win a $10,000 small business makeover. There are a total of 5 available prizes. You can see the full rules here - http://www.squarestorefrontmakeoverrules.com/
What is the sweepstakes deadline?
The deadline to participate in the sweepstakes is October 15, 2019. But if you miss the deadline, you can still add you still add yourself to the Shop Small Map or Online Directory at any time by visiting americanexpress.com/loginshopsmall.
When is the drawing?
Winners will be notified by phone and/or email on November 1, 2019 by the sweepstakes administrator, LeadDog, on behalf of Square.
Who won last year?
Last year our winners were Alchemi Design & Publications, Revamp Barbershop, 12 Gage Designs, The Fresh Yard, and Razorback Computers. You can learn more about them here.
What’s included in the Small Business Saturday Marketing Kit?
This year the first 45,000 sellers who sign up for the Shop Small Map will receive a Marketing Kit. The kit includes a banner, poster, social prop, decals, notepad, and a pen.
When will I get my kit?
The Small Business Saturday Marketing Kit will be mailed in early November, and should arrive at your business location by November 15, 2019 via USPS.