x

Android compatibility and Square?

Can i use the contacless chip reader with a samsung tablet? 

i just bought the stand how can i use an Android tablet?

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Here is a compatibility chart. This is the ones confirmed to work, more may work. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3887-devices-compatible-with-the-square-magstripe-and-chip-c...

As for the square stand it is not compatible with any android tablets. It is only for iPads. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Best Answer

Here is a compatibility chart. This is the ones confirmed to work, more may work. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3887-devices-compatible-with-the-square-magstripe-and-chip-c...

As for the square stand it is not compatible with any android tablets. It is only for iPads. 

Message 2 of 17

Is the Samsung Experience 8.5 compatible with chip reader? Having trouble connecting.

Message 3 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey @bodyworkofbend! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread where another seller linked our Compatibility page where you can check if your specific Samsung device is listed. 

Check out @VanKalkerFarms post above. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 17

Answers please

Message 5 of 17

Hi @Simplman1967,

I moved your post to an existing thread around Android compatiblity. 

@VanKalkerFarms shared the link above to our Compatibility Page where you can check to see if your device is compatible. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 17
Beta Member

the square reader is not registering (connecting) properly on my new Samsung S20. i had to buy a transfer unit to accommodate the reader. can only manually enter card payment.S20 reader adapterS20 reader adapter

Message 7 of 17

Hey @evad51,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over Android compatibility and @VanKalkerFarms linked our Compatibility page above. 

I'm not seeing that device listed which would mean it isn't compatible. Readers aren't compatible with adapters either so you would need to use a different device with the reader for it to work. 

Ashley C
Message 8 of 17
Beta Member

thanks

Message 9 of 17

I own the LGV20 and Samsung Note 9.

My V20 works perfect with wireless square reader. My Note 9 though immediately tells me it is not compatible. 

I have updated everything. The V20 is considerably older yet works fine. Why wont the Note 9 work?

Message 10 of 17

Hi @MrJodyM,

I moved your post to an existing thread that links the Support Center article on where to check the compatibility of your device. 

Check out @VanKalkerFarms answer above.

If it does show on the list as compatible- please try these troubleshooting tips.

Ashley C
Message 11 of 17

Hi I have Samsung galaxy s21 ultra how can I charge my customers,  there is no jack, and doesn't take credit cards offline. 

Message 12 of 17

Hi @Gregt and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over Android Compatibility and links our Compatibility page you can search your specific device on.

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 13 of 17

• I recently purchased an S21 Galaxy and I have discovered that there is no port for me to plug my square into. I have looked through the app and find no place for entering a number manually . Any suggestions?
Message 14 of 17

Hi @KansasKitty and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details on finding a reader that's compatible with your specific device.

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 15 of 17

Hi All,

I manage a cafe and a drive thru that has 3 POS locations (table service, takeout and drive thru). We have a handheld square terminal for tablet service but also a tablet for managing mobile orders and tracking table wait time at the host station.

Suffice it so say, we use several devices and upgrading our tablets can be costly. We currently use two iPads that are several years old and now have increasing reliability issues, crashing, freezing. The one new iPad, current iPad model, is quite speedy and no issues but that was around $500 CAD. 

Can anyone recommend a reasonably low cost but powerful android tablet, with a ~10" screen that they have had success using with Square POS/Square for Restaurants?

Thanks

Message 16 of 17
Super Seller

Hi @Equator

I haven't used it for Square POS or Restaurants, but I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 2016 edition that has been really reliable, while it is an outdated tablet now, I believe they have released an updated version or if not, a second hand one may be ok for you, the battery life lasts about 10 hours streaming video over Wi-Fi, after 5 years of daily use, if that gauges how strong it is on quite a high intensity activity... 

I'd look into it if you're still in need of a device, Please note this is what the device is called in the UK and may be named differently in Canada or other parts of the world.

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 17 of 17