x

Are Royal POS devices (e.g. cash drawer) compatible with Square?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Can the Royal POS devices work on Square? I am having major issues.

I have a regular android tablet. Square will not recognize my printer or cash drawer. Blue tooth will sync....but inside the software it is unseen. What can i do. I have the Royal PT 300 printer and the MB-30 cash drawer. HELP!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 27
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can the Royal POS devices work on Square?

Thank you for letting us know @Labbylover. I flagged this to our Hardware team and double checked if Royal POS is compatible with Square - but it's not compatible at this time. We'll let you know here if it is compatible in future.

In the meantime, you might want to reach out to Royal POS directly to return the hardware and let them know about any inaccurate-looking details on the packaging. 

26 REPLIES 26
Beta Member

Hi there,

From what I can tell the hardware you mentioned is not compatible. It’s possible this list is not 100% complete but hopefully you can use this guide to find a solution. 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6334-hardware-compatibility-by-device

Message 2 of 27
Admin

@JWTz I'm really sorry for the frustration this has caused, the answer provided by @TBHospitalityNY is correct and the link they shared is up to date.

In the meantime, I'll share your request to use hardware from Royal POS with Square with the hardware team. Apologies again! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 27

I am looking at the box for my Royal MB-30 cash drawer and it states on the box “USB interface to support Square Inc. RJ11 and USB compatible. What am I missing? Shouldn’t this work with Square? Square cash drawer/printer price will have me moving over to a different POS. Ridiculous!

Message 4 of 27

Thats wby i bought it too. But it will not work. I have to key the drawer everytime. Not cool....

Message 5 of 27
Super Seller

I have found nowhere on any sites selling this item that it lists compatibility with Square.  

here is the blurb from Royal's website https://shop.royalsupplies.com/Cash-Management-Systems/MB-30-Cash-Drawer.html

"Connect the MB30 to an existing cash register as a replacement or additional cash drawer by using the RJ-11 interface cable. The MB 30 also comes equipped with the Royal Trigger. The Royal Trigger is a RJ11 adapter which enables the MB 30 to be connected to most retail devices with USB interface. This means that you now have a cash drawer that can be connected to a counter PC. Do you have an existing POS? The MB30 can be added to that as well."

unfortunately, this drawer isn't supported right now, they are adding hardware support, most recently Epson printers.  What a third party manufacturer states does not take precedence over what is actually supported even if it implies most POS support it.

Message 6 of 27

You’re right. I cannot find it on their site either. It was simply in large lettering right on their box sitting right next to the square system. That’s why I bought it. It stated it worked and is so much cheaper than Square hardware that seems incredibly inflated. Looks like a potential return of Square. On with Shopify!

Message 7 of 27

I beleive you have to use the receipt printer and cash drawer in order for it to interface with Sqaure

Cash Drawers

You can connect a cash drawer directly to your Point of Sale or through your receipt printer. When you connect a cash drawer, it will automatically open when you accept a cash payment and you can take full advantage of Square’s Cash drawer management features.

Connection Manufacturer Model Square Stand iPad (no Square Stand) iPhone Android Square Register

Printer-DrivenOther manufacturersAll Printer-Driven models✔️ Yes✔️ Yes✖️ No✔️ Yes✔️ Yes

Note: A printer driven cash drawer is a cash drawer that needs to be connected to your Square Point of Sale through a receipt printer to function correctly.

Message 8 of 27

It actually says it right on the box it comes inIt says USB interface to support Square inc.

Message 9 of 27

Did you ever solve this issue I just bought the exact same set up you did only to find out it wont work

Message 10 of 27
Admin

I'm sorry @Labbylover, that cash drawer hasn't been added to our list of compatible hardware so I can't guarantee it'll work. Have you tried connecting the cash drawer to a receipt printer?   

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 27

Yes I bought both the cash drawer and printer that were next to the square stand and card processor the box advertises that it is compatible with square. 

Message 12 of 27
Admin

Thank you for letting us know @Labbylover. I flagged this to our Hardware team and double checked if Royal POS is compatible with Square - but it's not compatible at this time. We'll let you know here if it is compatible in future.

In the meantime, you might want to reach out to Royal POS directly to return the hardware and let them know about any inaccurate-looking details on the packaging. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 27

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: USB Cash Drawer

I've purchased a small white square terminal with a built in thermal printer. I also purchased the Royal cash drawer that was next to it because it said it was compatible. I couldn't set it up so then I figured I needed a Square Hub. Purchased that and I still can't figure out how to set up. I found help articles that begin by stating I should go to "Cash Management"  then starting a cash drawer session but I'm not even finding those options. On my terminal, if I go to "cash drawers" it says No USB cash drawers found even when it's connected. Any suggestions/help?

Message 14 of 27
Super Seller

Royal does not make compatible hardware for Square equipment.  You are correct that you need the Square Terminal Hub to connect the hardware, unfortunately, that one is not compatible.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6334-hardware-compatibility-by-device

Message 15 of 27

SmartSelect_20200104-101531_Chrome.jpg

Message 16 of 27
Super Seller

That may be what Royal says, and Sam's Club has on their Website given to them by Royal, but it isn't supported by Square.  What a 3rd party states is not automatically correct.

I have read reports that the Royal printer has started working when Square added support for Epson printers, but I can't confirm that as I don't have one.

Here is the blurb from Royal's website. It makes a lot of claims with little backing.  You can't just add random USB drawers to any exsiting POS, even my other business with non-square hardware has specific requirements and limited choices. 

"

The MB30 cash drawer keeps money well organized with its 5-bill slots and the removable 8-coin slot tray. An added security slot allows you to insert credit card receipts, checks and large denomination bills into the drawer without opening it.

The MB30 can be used as a stand-alone cash drawer. It is perfect for schools, churches and organization functions that need a safe place to separate and store money.

Connect the MB30 to an existing cash register as a replacement or additional cash drawer by using the RJ-11 interface cable. The MB 30 also comes equipped with the Royal Trigger. The Royal Trigger is a RJ11 adapter which enables the MB 30 to be connected to most retail devices with USB interface. This means that you now have a cash drawer that can be connected to a counter PC. Do you have an existing POS? The MB30 can be added to that as well."

Message 17 of 27

Sounds like false advertising. They didn't generalize, they specifically said compatible with Square. I feel mislead! Thanks for the information. I didn't realize companies could state something that isn't true so blatantly. I thought that the reason it isn't working is because of something to do with the fact that it has a built in printer and that I'm not using the tablet POS system.

Message 18 of 27

I have a royal cash drawer it is compatible you have to plug it into the back of the printer not into the USB port you have to use what looks like a phone jack to plug it in the USB cord does not work with Square

Message 19 of 27

I had the same issue it took me a while to figure it out you have to plug it into the back of the printer it looks like a phone jack and then you’ll need what looks like a phone cable cord to plug it in it’s not USB I couldn’t get it to work with the USB on the royal cash drawer 

Message 20 of 27
Super Seller

@Labbylover Or @Sweetwater1 do you have a pic of the box to help show that royal is missinforming people about square compatibility?  I can’t find a pic of the box. 

Message 21 of 27