x
Super Seller Alumni

Are there less expensive Gift Card options?

I would like to add gift cards to my shop, custom printed with my logo, but I'm having trouble with the cost.  At $1.50 each, that's more than double the rate from the SAME printer!

$0.59 for 500 custom cards from ECardSystyems: https://ecardsystems.com/giftcardprinting.html

I think of everything in percentages, so if I want to sell a $25 card, the $1.50 is essentially a 6% fee plus the % CC transaction fee.  That's hard to swallow and does not IMO result in a good ROI.

That assumes the cards are not reloaded or reused.  Can anyone who's been using Gift Cards give me feedback on how many get reloaded?  Are you comfortable reusing a gift card once it's been depleted and selling it another customer?

Is there any way to get a Gift Card coded correctly from another printer?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 56
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hey y'all! Just wanted to offer a quick update, as there have been some recent developments around gift card pricing. To get going (in case you missed it), Square recently launched a FREE eGift card offering. Read more about eGift Cards (they're really awesome). Outside of this cool new feature, we also just recently lowered the prices for all of physical Gift Cards.

Here's a quick chart to outline the changes (pricing updated as of August 2022)

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.23.51 PM.png

As always, thanks for the feedback! It's truly invaluable!  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
Beta Member

Thanks for the pricing update.

Cheaper but still a vendor lock in that doesn't make sense.

If we can make paper/egiftcards, why not BYO plastic?

Message 43 of 56
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks @isabelle !

I'm looking at that page, and it looks like the prices listed are the same ones that @Sean posted on the first page of this thread of the April 2018 updated prices?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 44 of 56
Admin

Hey @pessosices!

I went ahead and moved my post. I must've been confused on Friday!

Thanks 🌸

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 45 of 56
Beta Member

Print out E Gift cards with a barcode that will scan with a barcode reader, simple. and it will track the sales and remaining amounts.

simply use the snipping tool to copy the card image and overlay with the barcode representing the number and print to paper and laminate.

Message 46 of 56

I mean, that would work, but that's pretty tacky. Especially when you are running a store where quality and branding matter. It would be best for Square to just release the track information so customers can print their own gift cards elsewhere. And then allow those card numbers to be updated to the Square database for redemption.

Message 47 of 56
Beta Member

I'm very unhappy with the current pricing for gift card. I ordered 500 to get the $0.95 per card rate which is still insanely expensive. Add on top of that, $25 shipping and tax and these cards end up being quite spendy compared to other magstripe cards out there.

Square, please reduce pricing or allow us to purchase other cards than are $0.30 or less. Thank you

Message 48 of 56
Beta Member

Forcing us to purchase eCards from USA is ridiculous for your customers in Australia.  Not only impacted by exchange rate but also shipping costs.  Looking at other POS options.

Message 49 of 56
Square Community Moderator

Hi @GoulburnWestern - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to provide your feedback.

Sorry to hear that Square Gift Cards may not be the best fit for your business. If you'd possibly be interested, you may want to look into using our electronic gift cards to avoid shipping costs. 

With eGift Cards, you will pay a 2.9% + 30¢ fee when your customer buys an eGift Card from you through your online order page. There are no upfront set-up costs for eGift Cards, and no cost to create or maintain your eGift Card ordering site. You can read more about eGift Card here.

We appreciate your input.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 50 of 56
Beta Member

Hi Alana 

our customers would prefer something they can give as gifts rather than a printed email.

you need to connect with an Australian supplier for cards or allow other providers to connect with Square.  This monopoly is ridiculous!

Message 51 of 56

Hey there @GoulburnWestern 

I can definitely see how having a local Gift Card provider would be useful and productive for our Australian Sellers. I will pass this feature request over to our Gift Card team so they can take this into consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 52 of 56
Beta Member

any updates on  this one - would be good to have options before Christmas

Message 53 of 56

Thanks for checking in on this request, @GoulburnWestern. It doesn't look like a local gift card provider for physical gift cards in Australia is currently in the works. You can still issue eGift Cards, which would be emailed to your customers, for free. 

Message 54 of 56
Beta Member

I just purchased another 125 gift cards for my Square POS.  I'm in Australia... 
Costs:

$150 USD for the cards with envelope

$107.89 USD for shipping

Converts to $423.99 AUD equating to $3.39 each.

LIFT YOUR GAME SQUARE AND ALLOW ALTERNATE SUPPLIERS IN THIS SPACE !

Message 55 of 56
Beta Member

So it’s nearly a year ago and still no movement on this issue. Square - you are very disappointing!  This monopoly is actually criminal. 

please don’t tell me about electronic gift cards again- I know they exist but my customers prefer the cards. 

when are you opening up the option to have alternate plastic gift card suppliers !!!?????

Message 56 of 56