x

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

We add a mandatory 18% gratuity to all large parties in the restaurant, but there's no easy way to do this without getting out a calculator and doing the math (horror!) manually. 

I tried creating a new "tax" of 18%, but it only half-works. On the plus side, it automatically calculates what 18% of the bill would be. But on the minus side, it's listed on the customer receipt as "tax," which is a deal-breaker. 

For now, we define an item called "Gratuity" with an undefined price/percentage and then calculate it manually for every bill as described above. It's error-prone and time-consuming, both bad things. Surely Square Register is smart enough to figure out the tip on its own? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Automatic tip for parties of 6+

@MR_Cltuch @Gam1 I just wanted to let you know that automatic gratuity based on the number of guests at a table is currently available with Square Restaurants. Square for Restaurants is a separate app to the Point of Sale app and it's free to try for 30 days. There's more information about automatic gratuity and other check management features with Square for Restaurants in our Support Center too! 

71 Comments

Currently, to add an automatic gratuity (20% for a large party), you have to set it up as an "additional tax". 

When a server wants to add this gratuity, he/she has to remember to switch the dining option at the beginning of the ticket to "large party". If not, then the server has to go item by item and add the gratuity. Since it is set up as an additional tax, the tips on your daily report are not correct nor is the sales tax. You have to click on the "taxes" button on your sales report. That will show your true sales tax and the gratuity "tax" that you then have to add to the regular gratuity shown in the report. All in all, a really dumb way to go about this, when they just need to create an automatic gratuity button.

I need to add an automatic gratuity percentage button that will only apply to larger parties. Need it to be an option to apply only when we choose. I cannot use the tax button as my city has no sales tax and again, this will only apply to certain tabs. Help? 

Alumni

Hi @BiscuitBetties - I don't believe this exists yet, but maybe some other users who have restaurants will be able to chime in with work arounds they've found. 

Also, here's a general article with tipping from our help center just in case you find something useful here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5069

I see so many threads about needing the ability to add gratuity that are years old. Where is the solution?

Super Seller

I was not clear. I am talking about automatic gratuity on large parties. I need that feature added to the software.

Alumni

Hi @carries - Have you seen that Square for Restaurants now has auto-gratuity? Not sure if you're interested in that product (note that it has a different pricing structure), but it looks like you can turn the feature on and off as needed!

Yeah, but at $40 per device. That is astronomical!

The very annoying way I do it - Add the grat as a variable amount item, do the math for xx%, add it to the check and present it to the guest.

Go back, delete the item, run the card for the base amount, and hand write in the tip and total with a xx% stamp near your writing, and have them sign it. That's the only way I can think of as to not skew sales and tax and tip totals at the end of the night.

This is so stupid.

Please add a button!

Greeting All:

We are using smart tipping and the function where the receipt is printed and presented to the customer where they can select a % (10,15,20) or put in a custom tip.

Is there a way to somewhat bypass this and automatically charge a 20% tip on certain checks (specifically parties of 6 or more people)? The server would just print the receipt with the 20% already charged.

Thanks,

John