x
Beta Member

Barcode Scanner square retail issue

My barcode scanner works great however, when I scan an item it does not directly add it to the sale. Most items I scan brings it up in the item list and I have to manually add it or it scans, goes to checkout screen and I have to click the back arrow to go to the item screen and select it to add it to the sale. I’m using the socket 7ci. Is there a work around for this? We have tried everything and it is frustrating! I just want a scanned item to be automatically added to checkout.

A store bought bottle of wine is cheaper than therapy.
Brewing your own wine is even cheaper than that while making it is thera-peutic!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Beta Member

CORRECTION I am using the SocketScan® S700

Brewing your own wine is even cheaper than that while making it is thera-peutic!
Message 2 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @PoppedCork , thanks for reaching out to us in the Square Seller Community!

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your bar code scanner. I have listed some troubleshooting steps below for resetting your scanner to see if this improves its performance.

To Reset your Bluetooth Bar Code Scanner:

1. Turn on the bar code scanner.

2. Press and hold the trigger button while pressing the power button. After 15 seconds, the scanner will beep.

3. Release the trigger button. The scanner will beep 5 times and power off.

4. Turn the scanner back on and scan the bar code below:

_alanah_0-1629809066376.png

If you are still experiencing this issue after giving the reset a try, please let us know! We are happy to assist further - if needed 🙂

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

I have tried this repeatedly, See attached video for what it's doing

Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

Any responses or fix as to the video I posted? This is frustrating

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @PoppedCork - Thank you for following up! Sorry we haven't gotten back to you sooner.

After taking a look at the video you sent over, this definitely looks like unexpected behavior. Let's get you in touch with our Support Team for further assistance. They could also escalate this issue to our Engineering Team to take a closer look if needed. 

Please contact Support directly here

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 12

Hi @PoppedCork i was wondering if they fixed this issue for you as I am experiencing the same issue and it’s really annoying. What’s the purpose of me scanning an item if I still have to go in and choose it again. Please let me know  if the fixed it and how? Thanks 

Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

The issue has not been fixed, it’s extremely annoying.

Message 8 of 12

Oh no that’s not good your post was over a month ago and no resolution. I am trying out square retail to see if it’s a right fit for my business. Is there other concerns I should look at.  

Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

So far I think that's really the only annoying issue I have had. If you use both the retail app and appointments app the "drawers" are separate. The program otherwise works great. I would like to see them rework the pricing tho, we use the retail app, appointments app, team, website all through square and every "add on" costs so much. It would be nice for those of us that use all the features to have one base price. Otherwise I highly recommend Square Retail.

Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

We're running Square POS on an iPad and the screen looks quite different from what's in your video, but we experience the same issue... too many screen taps to get the cart populated with items. After 50+ years of an established consumer checkout flow in brick-and-mortar stores, it's very puzzling how Square (and Shopify!) could release POS apps that require so much screen interaction during a checkout. I switched away from Shopify for this very reason, but Square's app has the exact same issue. Weird.

It's not rocket science. **Scanning a barcode should add an item to the cart, and then return focus to the search field so that the next scan can be done, in quick succession. **

Not sure why this is considered a "feature" request. It should be standard POS behaviour. 

I hope they address this issue for you, as your video looks very painful!

Message 11 of 12

Hello I am experiencing the same issue. Everytime I scan an item It does not go in automatically 

Message 12 of 12