x

Bugs in Import Tool

Is anybody actually using the import tool for items? This thing is buggy as hell. If you export your items, and then immediately import them back in it sets all of the "ENABLED" fields to "N". It exports 2 fields with the same field name (PRICE) - one of them is supposed to be "PRICE FORMAT". I have messed with it for hours, and I am a programmer. This was released way to early, and apparently not tested at all. I was also told by support that it defaults to replacing the database, so you need to export first. I did not find this to be the case. In my testing, it was always appending, even creating duplicate items when dupes were present. UGH.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED

Message 1 of 32
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Bugs in Import Tool

@jimkramer61 - Just heard back from our Engineering team, and they let me know that this issue should be resolved now. Would you mind checking things out again? 

31 REPLIES 31
Square

@jimkramer61 - Appreciate you taking the time to share, and major apologies for the inconvenience. I am happy to share that this is definitely something that needs to be fixed, and we're already on it. I'll be sure to share an update as soon as I hear one! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 32
Square

@jimkramer61 - Just heard back from our Engineering team, and they let me know that this issue should be resolved now. Would you mind checking things out again? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 32

still appears to be setting the enabled flag to "N" on every item imported. If you export the current list, then immediately import same list, all are set to disabled. Extra "Price" column appears to be fixed (removed).

Message 4 of 32

Importing still appends. There is no way to replace the entire database of items without deleting them one at a time from the interface.

Message 5 of 32
Square

@jimkramer61 - Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "importing still appends?" I thought we were just dealing with the extra "Price" column. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 32

There used to be a prompt to "Replace" or "Append" database when you clicked "Import". That is now gone. Instead, I was told that by default it will replace the entire DB upon import and if you need to save your current items list you need to export it first. Then add anything new, or make any changes. Then import. This is not the case. The import simply appends to what is already there. If you create an import SS with a single item on it and import, it adds it to the item database. What should happen is you end up with a single item in your items database. The way it is now, there is no way to delete items using the import functions. You would have to go into the interface, and delete them one at a time. Either bring back the "Replace"/"Append" prompts, or fix the default import so it replaces the database. Was this product tested at all? It doesn't seem like it. I have a full time job of my own. If I wanted to work in your Quality Assurance department I would fill out an application. Just saying...

Message 7 of 32

BTW - this was reported via e-mail:

A few things come to mind. First, the export file has 2 fields named "Price". This throws a duplicate field error on import. Second, in my testing, it did not seem like the database is being replaced upon import. It seems like it is always doing an append. Third, in my testing, it was marking all imported items as Enabled="N", regardless of whether I set it to "Y" or not.

There seems to be a lot of issues with the new tool...

Thanks!
Jim Kramer
Liquids in Motion
On 9/19/2016 12:45 PM, Square Support wrote:

Hey Jim!

Thank you so much for reaching out! My name is Stephen. I would love to help you. 

Sorry for the difficulty with the import tool. 

We just recently changed things a bit. 
What you'll need to do if you are wanting to 'Append' or 'Replace' your item library is you'll first click export for the system to populate your item library in a CSV or spreadsheet file. 

Once you have that file saved to your computer, you can edit whatever you'd like and import it straight from the Dashboard whenever you're ready to make those changes to your item library.

Keep in mind that once you’ve confirmed an import, you’re unable to revert back to a previous version of your library. You can find step-by-step instructions for importing your item library in our Support Center.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! I am here to help.

All the best,

Stephen
Square Support

Message 8 of 32
Square

@jimkramer61 - Thanks so much for the clarification, this makes a ton more sense. The option for "Modify Item Library" or "Replace Item Library" has been removed. I'll sync up with our Product Team and see if I can find out why there are discrepancies between what you were told and how it is functioning. I really appreciate your time and feedback!   

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 32

and also find out why the ENABLED flag gets set to "N" regardless of what is in the import file.

Message 10 of 32
Square

@jimkramer61 - They're going to look into this too for you! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 32
Square

@jimkramer61 - Just want to give you an update and make sure we're addressing all the issues you're facing:

1. Export file includes two Price columns - Fixed
  2. Import sets all enabled fields to "N" - This is at the top of our bug list to investigate.
  3. "Replace" or "Append" functionality - On our list of features to re-add as soon as possible.

Sorry about the inconvience, and thanks for all of your feedback!

Message 12 of 32
Square

@jlabanca - We're on the same page. 🙂  Thanks for the recap!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 13 of 32

Hi team,

I would like to share my experience while I wait you fix the importation tool.

As you know ( and @jimkramer61 does too ), enabled fields are filled with 'N'. So those articles are hidden in SquareBox app. If I want to get visible it, I have to go into the article file, uncheck trackin stock checkbox, because it's checked, save it, then check it and save it again. Now it's enabled in the app again.

I hope it helps you, or anyone

Message 14 of 32
Square

We've identified the root cause and are working on a fix for items being disabled.  Hoping to have it deployed tonight, at which point you'll be able to reimport your items and they'll become enabled again.

Message 15 of 32

Hi,

Thanks @jlabanca. I noticed the preview import has changed and now it includes stock and stock alert settings.

Right, articles keep enabled, but unfortunately, stock settings are not updated after import process is finished.

Message 16 of 32
Square

Looking into it.  Thanks for your patience while we rollout this new import feature.

Message 17 of 32

it appears the Enabled flag is now working correctly. However, prices with decimal values (like $12.50) are not importing correctly. The items show up in the square app as "variable", and want a price manually entered. The odd thing is that the prices show they are set in both an export, and in the maintenance interface. Clicking through each price one by one, and then clicking saving fixes them... but what a pain.

Message 18 of 32

The removal of the option would be fine, if it was doing a replace by default (which it is not).

Message 19 of 32
Square

@jimkramer61 - I'll be sure to report this to our engineers. Stay posted! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 20 of 32

Hi there,

I have imported just one article and everything is placed right. Tomorrow I will check it in depth.

Thank you guys

Message 21 of 32