x

Bullets in item descriptions

I can't seem to use bold, italics, and bullets in item descriptions. The options are there but they are grayed out. 

Message 1 of 5
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

@AlleyR In order to edit the item descriptions and add bold/bullets etc you have to desync the item catalog in settings:

"Want to style your description with bold, italics, or bullets? Unsync your item description in sync settings."

The caveat is here you won't have the catalog on the point of sale synced with online.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

If you are only online, I would not hesitate to desync.

Basically if I have a shop selling hamburgers.  The description I put in for the item can be synced so if I make a change on my point of sale ipad it will show up online and vice versa.  If you desync, then you have to make changes in both spots to the same item; however, if you desync you get all the little fancy bells and whistles to make a description for your items online.  This was meant for people like yourself who are running an online business with square.  I run a restaurant and I want all of my items synced so I can make changes to one item on my dashboard and it is reflected in the point of sale and on other websites and at other locations.

Hope this helps.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

@AlleyR In order to edit the item descriptions and add bold/bullets etc you have to desync the item catalog in settings:

"Want to style your description with bold, italics, or bullets? Unsync your item description in sync settings."

The caveat is here you won't have the catalog on the point of sale synced with online.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 5

Pardon my ignorance but I'm still brand new at this; I don't understand the last bit regarding having POS synced with online. 

Can it be synced again after the fact? Does it matter if I'm only online at this point? 

thanks! 

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

If you are only online, I would not hesitate to desync.

Basically if I have a shop selling hamburgers.  The description I put in for the item can be synced so if I make a change on my point of sale ipad it will show up online and vice versa.  If you desync, then you have to make changes in both spots to the same item; however, if you desync you get all the little fancy bells and whistles to make a description for your items online.  This was meant for people like yourself who are running an online business with square.  I run a restaurant and I want all of my items synced so I can make changes to one item on my dashboard and it is reflected in the point of sale and on other websites and at other locations.

Hope this helps.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 5

Thank you! That perfectly explains it! I will be selling online only except for occasional shows and I can worry about that then. 

thanks so much for your help! 

Message 5 of 5