x

California Tax Rate

Two questions;

If we live in California, are we as Square Business users going to be setting up Sales Tax at a flat rate of 9.75% or is it different?

If we don't have a single location where we do all business sales and we do sales in different parts of California, does it still stay the same rate or do we have to adjust accordingly to different counties? Let's say selling in Los Angeles vs San Fransico for example...

I'm kind of confused, so I found a source that explains the rates a bit, but still need an extra word from the square community.

Here is information I found online; "The California sales tax rate is currently 6%. However, California adds a mandatory local rate of 1.25% that increases the total state sales and use tax base to 7.25%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high at 9.75%".  Source - http://www.taxrates.com/state-rates/california/

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

I have the same question!

Message 2 of 3
Square Community Moderator

Heya @shopmv,

We're not able to advise on anything tax-related as we aren't tax professionals. We'd recommend reaching out to a tax professional to further advise on this!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 3