x
Beta Member

Can Bluetooth Card Reader be connected to Bluetooth and via dock at same time?

We use a square stand with an iPad 2, which unfortunately is the only ipad which does not connect with the chip reader via Bluetooth. We are outdoors and have a lot of issues with the iPad shutting due to overheating so we need a back up device at the ready. We have been using the old wired chip reader attached to the stand and the ipad. We now have the Bluethooth chip reader and it can work paired with a back up cell phone when the ipad overheats. Trying to come up with a more complete solution. If I purchase the chip reader dock, I will be able to connect the bluetooth chip reader via the dock and cable to the square stand and the iPad 2. Then, my question....with this setup, will is simultaneously be able to maintain a wireless bluetooth connection with the cell phone so it can be quickly brought inas a back up if the ipad overheats. In other words, can the chip reader be connected via cable/dock to one device AND via bluetooth to another device at the SAME TIME?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

Hi @cityminigolf The dock doesn't do anything but hold the reader at and angle.  The dock does have a USB for power but that's it.  The Contactless Reader only connects via bluetooth.  You can also only have it paired to one device at a time.  So moving it form one device to another is not quick.

I run an iPad(s) in our fireworks stand so I know what you mean by heat.  I would suggest you just us the mag swipe reader in that environment.  Part of the overheating is temperature outside but it can also be cased signal connection.  If you dont' have a good cellular/wifi connection the unit uses more power to try to hold the signal.  The contactless reader must connect to a secure server in order to work.  By not using in you reduce the network load and overheating.  I would also suggest you get a newer iPad.  They have better batteries and processors so they can handle the work load required by Square reducing overheating.  I also shut off and uninstalled anything I don't use on the iPad.

Message 2 of 2