x
Beta Member

Can Food Trucks Offer Delivery

Hello,

My name is Adrienne and I'm new to all this.. I own a food truck business and we offer online ordering and now I would like to offer our customers delivery options. 

The only difference is we are not sitting in 1 place on a regular basis. We travel to communities, pools, etc all year round. We are never in 1 spot more than once. 

Is the option for delivery you have also for food trucks and if so is it guaranteed to work efficiently with roaming trucks?

Also, when online orders are placed, is the order suppose to automatically print so we know when orders are made rather than always checking notifications? 

We also offer a percentage of our sales when we do fundraising events.  Is there anything that can be done to add or calculate percentages and keep track of those items throughout the year

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Welcome to the Seller Community @Minxies1967!

At thist time order delivery requires a specific location to be entered online to be able to estimate delivery time and other factors. So you may be able to use it as long as you are constantly (and manually) updating it from the Online Dashboard.

You can find more about setting up Delivery here.

Order do notify and print on the device (when setup) so you will be able to see when you need to start preparing the items for your customers.

In regard to setting up percentages to split your balance this in particular would be considered a future request.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Welcome to the Seller Community @Minxies1967!

At thist time order delivery requires a specific location to be entered online to be able to estimate delivery time and other factors. So you may be able to use it as long as you are constantly (and manually) updating it from the Online Dashboard.

You can find more about setting up Delivery here.

Order do notify and print on the device (when setup) so you will be able to see when you need to start preparing the items for your customers.

In regard to setting up percentages to split your balance this in particular would be considered a future request.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

Thank you for the help. 

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Thanks for posting this, @Minxies1967 ! We, too, own a food truck business, offer online ordering, and would like to offer delivery options. But, working the DELIVERY part is such a pain in the butt because, like @JJ_ mentioned, you have to change your address for your LOCATION each day you're out.  We let it go for now - not worth the trouble with the way it has to be managed.

Online order ahead for events suffers from a similar problem because the open/closed hours are tied to LOCATION, which has one address. When we have multiple events lined up for a week and want to get some orders early, our work around to avoid folks ordering for the wrong address or date was to create LOCATIONs named by the days of the week (e.g., Saturday Spot, Sunday Service, Tuesday Tacos). We then adjust their addresses and hours so it shows up on our ordering page: https://mexitrachos.square.site/ . Then we just🤞🏽 & 🙏 that no one orders for the wrong week since you still can't set a date, LoL (BTW, to reduce that problem a bit, I set the RESTRICTED DATES to show a couple of the subsequent weeks as "closed" if we aren't going to be in the same place that following, e.g., Saturday.) Still clunky, gets old really quick, and is not so useful for those times we're just out with the truck because the weather is nice, etc. Mostly, we use other sites/POS services that are more oriented around Events and your Calendar instead of Location. But, anyway, I digress

As for your printer question, we use the STAR Micronics WSP-i350 Bluetooth printer with our iPad. Both our online orders and orders we enter on the tablet automatically print tickets. You do need to connect the printer (e.g. in the Square Point of Sale app: SETTINGS > HARDWARE > PRINTERS) and set up the tickets as well - e.g. we have it just print the chef/kitchen ticket and not the little number stub. Oh, note, this particular printer doesn't work with Square on Android - there's a list of printers in the Square help somewhere. Oh, and also note, if you do set up different LOCATIONS, I believe you have to be logged into a location for online orders to print out in real-time. That is, if we are logged into our Saturday Spot and someone places an online order for the Sunday Service, it isn't going to print out and get mixed in with the current nights orders. Which is good in that example, but bad if you forget to logout of one LOCATION and into the correct LOCATION.🤣

Anyway, you've probably figured all of this out by now, but maybe others will find it useful.  I would love to have one of the Communities focused on food trucks or mobile food vendors - I keep searching.

Happy Trucking! 🍛🚛🧑🏽‍🍳

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

Hi, we did figure out a few things, but it is ver difficult to keep things moving smoothly.  Thank you for all the information it is very helpful. Especially about the order ahead section. We get alot of schools now and that works perfect so the kids don't have to wait outside the teachers bring the lunches to the students and we work it by classrooms. 

Best of luck to you and much continued success.

😊

Message 5 of 5