x
Highlighted
Admin

Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hello Seller Community! 

Am I able to backdate or edit a transaction after the sale is complete? What if the sale occured earlier and I recived payment at a later date? 

Message 1 of 82
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Best Answer

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting, 1099-K's, and chargebacks. Also it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
Highlighted
Admin

Best Answer

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting, 1099-K's, and chargebacks. Also it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 82
Highlighted

Hi, I did a transaction with the wrong taxes, can I edit it, to correct the amounts but without changing the total amount. For example, the transaction was first recorded with 100$, 0$ tax, but it should have been 90$ with 10$ tax.

Message 3 of 82
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @mariaE - Unfortunately, there isn't a way to edit any aspect of a transaction once it has been completed.

Message 4 of 82
Highlighted

This really is a flaw in the Square system, it seems as though it is automatically set up to record GST. There are numerous providers who do not charge GST so there should be a way to edit taxes attributed to sales.

Message 5 of 82
Highlighted

Hi @Chad ,

I've read a bunch of threads on this topic and you keep giving this "Fraudsters and scammers" answer for something that seems very reasonable and a lot of people need.

Fraudsters and scammers can issue invoices using a simple word or google docs editor - you are not enabling anything by allowing this. An invoice is not a transaction and the credit card payment has nothing to do with the date on the invoice. I can pay with credit card today an invoice that was created 3 weeks ago or 3 months ago, there is nothing wrong about that.

No one is asking to change the date of a credit card transaction - all we need is to be able to backdate an invoice. NOT a transaction.

Simply put: We want to create a new, unpaid invoice, that is dated last week for example (when the service actually took place) - how is that enabling scammers or fraud?

Then I can proceed to take payment for it - either by cash or by credit card - it will show it was paid today, but the invoice date would be last week. Again - can you explain in what scenario can this be manipulated for fraud?

It is a common practice for businesses to do book keeping every few days and send out invoices a few days after the service was performed. If I work Monday-Thursday and send out invoices on Friday, using your system all my invoices are dated Friday.

Perhaps you should reconsider this flaw, unless you care to explain what fraud or scam you are referring to.

Message 6 of 82
Highlighted

I need to correct the date on a couple invoices. How do I perform this transaction? 

Message 7 of 82
Highlighted
Admin

Please take a look at the Best Answer provided by @Chad here in this thread for a more detailed answer, @YME. It is not possible to backdate transactions, and an invoice falls within that category - you will not be able to edit the date of a paid invoice.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 82
Highlighted

Back Date a "check" payment received previous month.

I accepted and deposited a check in December of 2019, I didn't mark the invoice as paid until today. My reports won't show properly unless I can fix it. I understand the "seemingly" fraudulent thought behind most, but I really just want to show the reporting correctly though our sales reports. Is there anyway to do this? 

Message 9 of 82
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Back Date a "check" payment received previous month.

Hi there, @LakeHoustonSign! Welcome to the Seller Community! We are so happy to have you. 

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a thread of Sellers who are asking for this same feature. At this time, we have no plans to enable the ability to backdate a check or transaction. For further details, I would take a look into Chad's Best Answer

Let me know if you have any questions! We are here to help. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 82