x

Can I make it mandatory for customers to enter their first/last name, and email when they checkout?

Hi!

I am trying to find out if I can make it mandatory for customers to enter their email, first and last name at the moment of checkout. The reason being is I NEED the customers info in order to follow up with them about their purchase. I cannot chase customers down! Also, is there a feature that creates a report of who bought what and when? Like some sort of customer management?

Thank you!

Amelia

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can check out general information about our Customer Engagement tools here!

As for the ability to set up your Customer Directory and take customers' information at the time of payment, this article will walk you thorough the process. 

Also, with Customer Engagement Pro you get Premium Profiles where you can see your customers' full transaction history, average transaction amount, customer history details and statistics. More details here.

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer >

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Alumni

Best Answer

You can check out general information about our Customer Engagement tools here!

As for the ability to set up your Customer Directory and take customers' information at the time of payment, this article will walk you thorough the process. 

Also, with Customer Engagement Pro you get Premium Profiles where you can see your customers' full transaction history, average transaction amount, customer history details and statistics. More details here.

Hope this helps!

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 18

I need to do the same thing in the online store. People are buying tickets to our event and not providing their names.

George, your response is not what we need. 

We need to make it MANDATORY/REQUIRED for customers to complete those fields before proceeding to payment.

Message 3 of 18

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem...

Message 4 of 18

I spoke with Square reps via about 6 months ago and they indicated the app did not have the functionality you are requesting. I was in a similar situation where I need the Note field to be mandatory upon checkout. The Sqaure rep indicated that a ticket would be created but that many other priorities were ahead of this type request.

Message 5 of 18
Square

@RedBeard - This definitely sounds like it could be useful feature! While we don't have an ETA for this feature, we're continually working on ways to improve our products! Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 18

So it's May of 2017 and I don't think this feature has been added yet.  Any ETA now on it?  We also need to have the name / email /and would like cell # of people purchasing items.  We need to be able to reach them and I think this feature needs to be moved way up to the top!

Message 7 of 18
Alumni

Hi @DullesProGrad

We definitely know that collecting customer info can be an important part of your business. We have a free feature available that can do this for you, Customer Directory. The Customer Directory lets you record customer information directly from the Point of Sale app. 

I hope this helps - feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. 😊

Message 8 of 18

Collecting information from the point of sale app is not possible if the customer never entered their information in the store at time of purchase. I was so embarrassed when I billed a customer who I thought hadn't paid because I searched my customer list for her name. Sure was surprised to learn that she had indeed paid, but had only entered an email address. You are able to make the email address required. How about letting us decide what other information we need to collect in the store? I also need a notes field but that isn't possible. Yet another reason to switch to PayPal. 

Message 9 of 18
Beta Member

We have the same issue! Does anyone know if this has been resolved, as this thread is 4 years old?!?! We have folks show up to collect their order who haven't put their name in. It really slows down the line when we can't immediately find their order. If the name could be marked as mandatory, it would save a lot of time and frustration! PLEEEEESE say this has been resolved and I'm just not finding it?!?!?! We pride ourselves on fast and efficient service. I know it's a two way street, and it's not 'necessarily' our fault, but the people standing in line on the sidewalk don't know that. Halp!

Message 10 of 18
Admin

Thanks for posting about this, @Proper.

Pickup and delivery orders placed through the new Square Online Store will require the customer to enter their name and email address. Are you seeing orders placed through your newer online store where a name and email isn't included?

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 11 of 18
Beta Member

Yes, we get a number of orders daily with no name attached. 

Message 12 of 18

@AdamB 

We have also received online store orders missing first and last name - about 3% of all orders since April. The first and last name can always be found in the dashboard customer record by searching on email address, but it creates an additional time-consuming step in processing an order.

• Can a customer add their First and Last names to the required name fields during the online store ordering process, and then later remove that information before submitting the order?
  • Or, is this a bug in the online store ordering system?

Message 13 of 18
Admin

To my knowledge a customer won't be able to remove that information during ordering because it would always check on submission. That said, it doesn't mean there couldn't be some kind of bug where under circumstances that information isn't saved or checked. If you haven't yet, I recommend contacting our support team so they can take a look and escalate if needed. 

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 14 of 18

Hi there, we are a nonprofit that provides fiscal sponsorship (501(c)(3) status) to over 390 charity foundations nationwide. Many of them collect donations and sell tickets at their charitable events using Square readers.

We, as the 501(c)(3), are required to capture donor names and emails/mailing addresses. Is there a way to make the donor (customer) information required before they swipe their credit card via the Square reader?

We are aware that the user has the option, via the Square mobile add, to click "Add a customer", but it is not required. 

Thanks!

Message 15 of 18

buehler?

Message 16 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @ppfbbb - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well.

As @JK_Fiber_Art mentioned, we do not currently have a feature to make it required for the customer to enter their info. You can submit this idea to our Ideate Board if you'd like! But you can certainly utilize the Customer Directory to help you store the information you collect from your customers.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 18
Beta Member

Hey PPFBBB,

What you have in mind maybe a future feature option (that's up to Square) however, we have not seen an option like this with other credit card processors - in the past we used our bank processing services, PayPal and Etsy - none of those services have had the option you have in mind.

jk

Message 18 of 18