x

Can I print a coupon or special on customer receipt?

I would like to print a special or coupon on my receipts.  Can I do this with Square.

Thanks,  Roger

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yup! On your web dashboard go to Accounts & Settings -> Business -> Receipts. There's a Custom Text box near the bottom of the page.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yup! On your web dashboard go to Accounts & Settings -> Business -> Receipts. There's a Custom Text box near the bottom of the page.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 17

Thank you...

Message 3 of 17

I added the coupon on the receipt but it doesn't show up when I print out the coupon.  Actually the coupon doesn't look at all like it does in the Dashboard.  What am I doing wrong?

Roger

Problem is, We are only open 1 day per week so can only check it on that one day.

Message 4 of 17
Super Seller

I believe that part of the receipt is only for the digital receipts not printed.  I don't have any printers set up currently to test it.

Message 5 of 17
Super Seller

I just verified it with my account. The custom text prints right below the sales total and above the Return Policy if you have one.

I know that you can't do anything really fancy with formatting, layout, or pictures in the custom text box. It's straight plain text.

If you're not seeing it, this may be something support will have to look into.

One thing I learned when testing this: any custom text you put on your receipt will print with past transactions. So you can throw something on the receipt then go back and reprint a past transaction to verify it prints right. No need to wait until your next open day!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 6 of 17

Can you customize receipt text for one specific item on the on-line store, or will any custom text appear on all receipts?

Message 7 of 17
Alumni

Hey @NJWCTreasurer - custom text will appear on all receipts. There isn't a way customize for one specific item. 

I suggest adding the message to the item description so it appears on the digital receipt. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 17

Thank you @JustinC  for the response.  We were hoping to be able to do a custom receipt for one item.  We'd like to send further details about the item purchased only after the person has paid, but it sounds like that won't be possible.  We'll need to think of a different approach.  

Message 9 of 17
Alumni

@NJWCTreasurer 

I see. Sorry about that 😔 Hopefully my workaround works for you. 

Justin
Message 10 of 17
Beta Member

It's 2021, most all major retailers print coupons on their physical receipts.  Why can't square make this simple change to their system?  I was using a basic POS before square and it even offered this feature.  

Message 11 of 17
Super Seller

Hi @bradrsi !

You do have the ability to create coupons on the receipts!

Dashboard -> Marketing -> Create Campaign -> Receipt

You may need to upgrade to see this, but in my experience the monthly addon cost of marketing is paid for very, very quickly if you set your campaigns up correctly. I highly recommend adding Automated email campaigns.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 12 of 17
Beta Member

I simply want a coupon to show on a PRINTED receipt for every transaction and every customer.  I don't want to pay for marketing as I have over 20,000 loyalty customers.  I want them to check out all next week and each receipt include a $5 off of $25 or more purchase the following Saturday.  Again, on the printed receipt...not on a digital receipt or marketing campaign.  

Message 13 of 17
Super Seller

@bradrsi 

Aahh, I see the problem. My apologies, I thought the receipt campaigns would work for printed receipts. After some more digging, it looks like those are only available in the digital world.

I would recommend going back to creating a custom text in the receipt. Yeah, it won't have pretty graphics or have tracking information like a digital receipt would, but you'll be able to put your discount deal on there.

Account & Settings -> Business -> Receipt

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 14 of 17
Beta Member

And that's a horrible option and not even a possible answer to what I need to accomplish.  Sorry, but this is a huge flaw for Square POS that should have been addressed way before now.

Message 15 of 17

Hello, I just wanted to follow up on this subject. Has square implemented an option to add coupons on PRINTED receipts without using the custom text option?

Message 16 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi @brewbakers - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to share your suggestion 👋

At this time, the ability to print a coupon or discount on a receipt is a feature request. Although this feature isn’t currently available with Square, it’s a great idea and I can see how it would be beneficial to your business.

I’ve shared your feature request with our Product Team, as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators. 

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input! 🙂

Violet
Message 17 of 17