x

Can I send invoices for payment to customers in New Zealand?

I have an an Australian account and to date all my invoices have been sent to clients based in Australia. I am now starting to sign up clients in New Zealand. Am I able to send Square invoices through to these clients for payment as normal? Will they remaking payment in Australian dollars?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @AccessAccom,

As long as you're using your square account from within Australia for an Australian business, you can process overseas credit cards - including emailing overseas customers invoices.

Payments are still made to you in AUD - the card holder's bank will do the conversion to the equivalent amount in their currency, based on exchange rates when the transaction is processed.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @AccessAccom,

As long as you're using your square account from within Australia for an Australian business, you can process overseas credit cards - including emailing overseas customers invoices.

Payments are still made to you in AUD - the card holder's bank will do the conversion to the equivalent amount in their currency, based on exchange rates when the transaction is processed.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 12

Thanks Sheamus 

In fact shortly after I posted the question we went ahead and sent out an invoice to a client in NZ. They were able to make a payment without any issues.

Message 3 of 12

Is there a list of currencies / countries that can be accepted somewhere? I thought I have seen it but can't find it.

Message 4 of 12
Admin

Hey @BobHale1,

You should be able to take card payments from customers in most countries, though cards from countries with trade embargoes would likely decline.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 12

Seamus I have had no end of trouble trying to pay invoices that were issued by US-based sellers. I cannot find anything that explains why this is - perhaps you can help? I get a message saying that my card was not accepted. I don't have this issue with PayPal or any other credit card platform.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.52.14 pm.png

Message 6 of 12
Admin

Hey @skystonesilver, thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you're having trouble making a purchase with a Square seller!

This looks like a generic decline from your card provider here - have you been in touch with your card provider about this yet? They should actually be able to explain specifically why the transaction was declined!

It's possible that perhaps your bank is flagging it as a suspicious transaction (this can be more likely to occur with overseas transactions), or it may have to do with international transactions being done on the card in general - either way your card provider is the one to speak to here! Let me know how you go and what they are able to let you know ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 12

Not my bank Seamus, I flagged the transaction with them as approved. It is being declined by your system.

Message 8 of 12
Admin

Hey again @skystonesilver!

Unfortunately reasons for declined transactions are not something we have the ability to look into further via our public Seller Community forum.

Generally your card provider should be able to tell you why a given transaction on your card has been declined - as far as I understand Square doesn't have a specific ability to decline card transactions, and it comes down to whether or not the card provider authorises the transaction. I would encourage you to ask your bank "Why was this specific transaction on this date declined?", as they should be able to give you a clear answer to that question.

The Square merchant who attempted to process this transaction can also feel free to get in touch with our support team to look into it further on their Square account end, to see if we're able to provide any additional context.

Sorry I can't be of more help here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 12

Same issue here Seamus, but instead of the States, its a company in Japan. 

Please understand what I'm saying, because it has been a very frustrating couple of days trying to sort this out... It isn't the bank.

They haven't received any requests for a deduction, i.e. it isn't getting past the Square up invoice page to them, for them to decline.

Message 10 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @Muffinman8428 

I recommend reaching out to our support team so they can look into this matter for you. Like @Seamus said Square doesn't have the power to decline a specific transaction but it doesn't hurt to double-check with our team to make sure everything in your account is set up properly. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Message 11 of 12

did this ever get solved?

Message 12 of 12