x

Can I set up to approve my orders & add sales tax after an order has been placed in my online store?

I notice that I have the option to approve my orders in my online store, as seen below...

Automatically Accept All Incoming Orders

Switch this off to manually review each order before accepting. Manually reviewed orders must be accepted within 2 days

If I turn this off, will the customers card be charged immediately when they check out, or can I review the customers order and address and then charge county sales tax appropriately? 

Thank you for your time
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Hi @kgamble and welcome to the Seller Community! Happy to help out with your questions. Find you responses below:

Can I set up to approve my orders & add sales tax after an order has been placed in my online store?

You'll need to have sales tax set up before an order is placed since a customer's card is charged at the time of the order. You'll able to tack anything extra on, as they wouldn't have been able to approve that amount. 

Will the customers card be charged immediately when they check out, or can I review the customers order and address and then charge county sales tax appropriately?

They'll be charged immediately and you won't receive the funds from that sale until it is marked as shipped. As for taxes, for in-state orders, all taxes are applied. For out of state orders, no taxes are replied. We don't currently support the ability to calculate county taxes, but this is definitely a feature request I've seen in the Seller Community. You may be interested in checking out one of our eCommerce partners. Their online store offerings are more more complex than that of our own. Ours is mostly aimed at simple sales and order pick up. 

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I have to piggy back on part of this question because I'm going to lose my mind tonight trying to navigate the dashboard. If I change this to Manual, I will be able to review and approve/accept the order, correct? What if the lead time the customer was given does not meet the timeframe needed to create the item? 

I had a customer place an order for an item that is NOT visible on my site. I have not updated my online store with the next holiday's items, yet, the customer just placed an order for an Easter item and her receipt says Ready March 6th. This item is not even on my public facing store! And now the customer expects this item to be ready a month ahead of when I plan to do it. So can I change the lead time once the order is placed, so I can update to the correct time? 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@sugargal I'm sorry that this has been frustrating! With the example provided above, you can’t edit the order, so it would prob be better to contact the customer and explain when it might be ready, or potentially just cancel the order. 

Are you wanting the ability to edit an order's pickup date after it's been placed? Or, are you wanting to be able to charge a customer only after you've accepted the order?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4