x

Can I take a partial deposit for an order?

Hello.  Is there anyway ti take a partial payment from a client before the order is started and then have the ramaining balance paid after the order is completed??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @MemFactory, I'm so sorry for the delay for our delayed response here. I wanted to check in and follow up — I'll be glad to answer any follow-up questions.

To be sure we're on the same page — are you referring to partial payments using the invoices feature? At this time, the ability to pay a portion of an invoice is not supported.

For now, you might consider working around this by editing the original amount and resending the invoice. Here's how:

1. Head over to your Invoices tab and select the invoice you’d like to edit.
  2. Click Edit to update the invoice details before resending.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. If you have any other questions or this doesn't fully address what you were getting at, please let me know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

This would be a great feature! We provide a lot of service orriented products at our store and recently switched over from Quickbooks POS to Square Retail... With Quickbooks we would take an order in for products or services, the receipt would show total amount due for all products. The the customer would make a partial payment and the remaining balance would be held on their account till they paid it in full. It was pretty easy. The work arounds I see for this on Square right now would create too much confussion and room for errors, as well as taking up time to figure it all out.

Please consider the abililty to creat customer accounts in the Square system that can hold outstanding balances and allow the customer to make payments over time. And I'm not sure if this is a thing yet or not as we are still learning the system, but if the customer had the ability to log into their account online to see their transactions, see balance there and make payments.

Thanks!!

Message 3 of 6

I agree.  We do custom balloon decorating and balloon twisting a require a deposit of at least 50% for the services.  Sometimes the customer wants to leave a deposit of a little more.  I don't want to send an invoice of just 50%, but at the same time, I don't want to send the entire amount.  Allowing a business like mine to have the option for customers to pay a percentage of the invoice would be super helpful~

Message 4 of 6

This would be an absolute godsend for us -- our bookkeeper is all tied in knots at the way we've set up items such as "payment in full", "deposit", and "balance due".

We provide services that only require a 50% deposit, and being able to track an order's sales tax, total, payments, etc in one place... in the Checkout app.

Please consider this a feature request. Any other way using Open Ticket or Invoices is a kluge.

Thanks,

Patrick

Message 5 of 6

I would say take the payment and invoice only for the reduced price. So if the product is $100 and they pay $50, Ring in a $50 item, cash it off...then invoice them for another $50 item. If it affects your inventory, you’ll have to adjust that manually.

Message 6 of 6