x

Can I transfer my Square Account?

I set up the our Square to link to our Cub Scout Pack to use for fundraising sales and parents to pay dues.  My son has now grown out of Cub Scouts and going to Boy Scouts and I am moving with him as well and will no long serve as the Cub Master and manage the Pack.  Is there a way to transfer the account name/owner to the new Cub Master.  The Bank account will stay the same

Thanks in advance.

John

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 53
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Happy to chime in here. Because each Square account is tied to the account holder's SSN and the SSN isn't something that can updated on an account, we not currently able to transfer account ownership.

In cases where the original account holder is no longer associated with the business or organization, we recommend that a new Square account be created by the new business owner or the person who would administer the new account. When a new account is created, the same EIN and bank account can be used.

If you need a refresher on setting up a new account, check out this Support Center.

If you're the new owner of the business or organization and you'd like a CSV file (spreadsheet) of the account's transaction history, please let us know by reaching out directly. Just as an FYI,  to share this information with you, our Compliance Team will request documentation proving your relationship with the business or organization. 

​Thanks for your understanding and feel free to post any follow up question!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 53
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @amy5! This is a great question! Thanks for reaching out to us here for the first time on the Seller Community 👋 Happy to have you - even if it's for a (what is sounds like) a short time.

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a similar thread of Sellers who were also asking similar questions. I would recommend looking into this Help Center Article regarding the editing of account ownership - it should answer all of your questions and direct you to some next steps.

Let me know if you have any questions! I am here to help.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 31 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Our hockey association recently split into 2 different associations.  I'm nice however and want to at least give the other association a way to upload the concession products and prices to make life easier, instead of them all having to be reentered with their new Square account.  Is there a way to do this?

Message 43 of 53

Hey! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community! I've merged your post with an existing thread that will help answer your question. This is not currently something we offer, so all account information will need to be manually exported from the current account and either kept in a file outside of Square, or imported into the new Square account. 

AshleyK
Message 44 of 53

I'm reading that account ownership can't be transferred... I am the original owner/employee who set up the Square account & POS, so this information used my social security number & name, but I'm leaving the company. Ideally for myself & the new team, my information shouldn't be associated with the account after I leave.

Square, have you solved this problem yet? Telling me it is "nontransferable" is not a solution--the company does not want to start from scratch & create a new account, either. Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 45 of 53

Hi @SWWRal this is still a feature request at this time! 

AshleyK
Message 46 of 53

Can you provide any insight on when this will be resolved?

Message 47 of 53
Alumni

Hi @SWWRal,

While we do not have a public timeline for feature requests, please know we will update our sellers and this thread when any changes are made. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 48 of 53

We are a non-profit organization with an art gallery. Our Board treasurer set up square to use for art sales, so he is the "owner" of the account. He is stepping down as treasurer, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change ownership of the account to our new treasurer. Starting a new account would mean having to set everything up all over again, and losing our sales history. This is unacceptable. Surely there's another method?

Message 49 of 53

Hi there, @onyxarts - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

You are correct, here. We do not offer the ability for Square account ownership to change. Each Square account is hard-linked to the SSN of the user who activated the account, even if the SSN has been edited to a TIN or EIN for tax reporting purposes.

If you'd like a new owner to be applied to your card-processing, we would advise creating a new account. More info on this here

Joe
Message 50 of 53

This begs the question, "Who actually own the account?" If an employee sets up the account on behalf of a business, does the employee then own the POS data and control all access regardless of business ownership? Pretty sketchy if you don't have a big old disclaimer about this.

Message 51 of 53

Hello @NewOwnership Welcome to The Seller Community! When you activate a Square account a social security number has to be used, even if you are a business. If the employee used their social security number to activate the account, which I have seen done. Then yes the employee is technically the owner of the Square account since their social was used. I hope that helped clarify any confusion, Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 52 of 53

HI, you can try to contact Customer Support with this link.  Monday to Friday, 6:00am-6:00pm PST.

Contact Customer Support

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact?panel=FAB456B04971&skip_unit_select=true

You will get a few options to contact, click Call Us, a new browser window will open with phone number and customer code.

You must be logged into your account and is best on a laptop or desktop.  Phone app sometimes displays unavailable at times.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 53 of 53