x

Can I use one reader on multiple devices?

Do I need multiple readers for multiple devices or can I move the reader from device to device?

Message 1 of 42
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can move them from device to device! 

All of our readers are universal so they are not linked to any particular account, nor do they store any of your personal information. So long as you're signed into the app with your account, the payments will be sent to the right place!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Can I add the app to two different devices, and move the reader between them, for the same acct?

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 42
Super Seller

You can have the app on as many devices as you want.  Between iPads and iPhones, we have ten different devices we could use at any time.

Message 3 of 42
Square

Best Answer

You can move them from device to device! 

All of our readers are universal so they are not linked to any particular account, nor do they store any of your personal information. So long as you're signed into the app with your account, the payments will be sent to the right place!

Message 4 of 42

I work at a salon, and there are two of us that use square. I want to get the chip reader, but wondered about this. You say as long as you're logged into the app, it will get deposited into the right account... But if we are working at the same time, and both our apps are open.... Will that screw up? Or as you go through the check out process, is that when it figures out who's account it will go to? 

Message 5 of 42
Square

Are you both using separate phones/tablet, or sharing one? If you're sharing one, the device can only be logged into one account at a time. You would have to sign out of the app and login with your account information when you need to to take a payment. 

If you each have your own phone/tablet you would each be signed into the app separately, and to pass the reader to each other without issue. Hope that helps clarify!

Message 6 of 42

So, if I have two devices working sideby side with the same account, will the reader work for both of them?

Message 7 of 42
Alumni

Hi @kenb - You can use a reader with multiple devices or accounts at different times. Since it connects via Bluetooth, the Contactless + Chip Card reader can only pair with one device at a time. 

Think of it like a Bluetooth speaker - you can use it with multiple devices, but you can only play songs from the device with which it's paired. To use the Contactless + Chip Card reader with more than one device, you will need to unpair from one device and then pair to the next. 

Message 8 of 42

How do you unpair and pair to a new device? I am working between a Samsung Note and Galaxy Tab A. Do you have to go through the whole setup process each time if you switch between 2 deivices?

dunkbeauty

Message 9 of 42
Super Seller

moving/adding a new device, all you have to do is download Square POS app and then login in and Square will automatically download your POS layout and items and everything from the Square Cloud servers so they will behave identically.

Message 10 of 42

The Bluetooth example of speakers you provided is a poor example of how square readers work.  With Bluetooth speakers and other modern Bluetooth devices, multiple devices can be paired to the speaker and connect to the speaker without having to unpair the previous device.  this is not the case with square readers. 

Message 11 of 42
Admin

@PKHG You're right, the chip card reader can only be linked to one device at a time. I can see how it would be very convenient to be able to link multiple readers to one device — I'll share your feedback with the Hardware team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 42

I understand why you can only connect via Bluetooth with one device at a time. I do not understand why only one device can be paired at a time. It is not convenient to forget the reader from one device and pair with another device every time we want to switch user at the stand in front of customers.

Message 13 of 42

Its unclear in the feed if i can use two ipads with the one reader alternating or do the staff need to keep swapping pairing to process sales?

Message 14 of 42
Admin

Hey @Elizajallan

Good question. As of right now, the Contactless and Chip Reader can only connect to one device at a time.

You cannot have two iPads connected to the same reader. It can only be paired to one device at a time. Please let me know if you have any questions about that. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 15 of 42

You cannot use one reader with more than one device without resetting everything.

You cannot use one reader with more than one device when at market.

The reader cannot be used with multiple devices!

Message 16 of 42

I recently started another business aside from my current ongoing one. My questions is.... can I use my existing equipment with a new square account ? Or do I need to order new card readers to process the payments through my new business. They have different EIN numbers and are completely different.

Message 17 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Landree711 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us and joining us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding using a reader for multiple accounts.

Take a look at this Best Answer from Spenser - it will give you all the info you need.

Cheers!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 42
Beta Member

This seems to be the exact opposite of a later response: "

BAKEDBYDESA
‎08-15-2020 04:36 AM

You cannot use one reader with more than one device without resetting everything.

You cannot use one reader with more than one device when at market.

The reader cannot be used with multiple devices!"  

I much prefer your answer, but which one is correct? 

Message 19 of 42
Super Seller

There seem to be 2 questions in this.

1.  A Square reader can be connected to a device, then say you get a new device you can connect that to the Square reader.  Or you give it to a friend for the weekend they can use it and give it back for you to continue to use.

2.  A Square reader can not be connected to multiple devices at the same time.  You can not have your iPhone connected to Square reader A and your employee's iPhone also connected to Square reader A simultaneously.  Either can be connected individually but not both at the same time.

Message 20 of 42

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Same reader for multiple accounts?

Can I use the same reader for two different accounts?

Message 21 of 42