x

Can I use one reader on multiple devices?

Do I need multiple readers for multiple devices or can I move the reader from device to device?

Message 1 of 42
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can move them from device to device! 

All of our readers are universal so they are not linked to any particular account, nor do they store any of your personal information. So long as you're signed into the app with your account, the payments will be sent to the right place!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Super Seller

Yes, you can.  The readers are just "dumb" devices that only know what account to use when connected to your logged in phone or tablet.

-B

Message 22 of 42

I have the same question.  My family of three each has our own iphone to ring up sales from customers at our booth.  Do we each need a reader for our iphones, or can we share only one reader?

Message 23 of 42
Super Seller

if it is the plugin magnetic swipe reader you can easily share between, though it limits to only taking one payment at a time.  with the Bluetooth model you also can share but every time you switch devices it is connected to you will need to re-pair it taking time which is usually a premium and not what you want to be wasting when trying to accept payments.

Message 24 of 42

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Message 25 of 42

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Connect square chip reader on 2devices

How to connect 2ipads to chip reader ? I can seem to connect only one device.

Message 26 of 42
Super Seller

You can only connect the Readers on a one to one pairing.  If you want to be able to process cards on 2 devices at the same time you need 2 readers.

Message 27 of 42

Can you connect (pair) the chip reader to more than one phone ? my partner and i work different days and want to share the reader....

Message 28 of 42
Super Seller Alumni

You can pair your reader with any number of phones.  It can only be paired with one at a time, but that doesn't sound like a problem for you and your partner.

Judy T Shumway
Message 29 of 42

So it seems like in theory my business associate and I should be able to connect our separate devices to my chip reader at different times.  This theory is sometimes proven true and sometimes not.  I usually have no problem connecting my phone to the reader and my associate can rarely connect his, but last week he had no problem at all and then when I tried to connect, it just wouldn't work, no matter what I did!  I tried closing the app and opening it  again, holding the button on the reader itself down for different lengths, turning the Bluetooth off and on again, etc., and it just wouldn't connect.  Is there something we're not doing that we should be doing?  It's just so odd that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Also, my associate does not have a jack on his phone so he can't use the swiper.  Thanks!

Message 30 of 42
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Susanlmt! Welcome to the Community.

I'm wondering if the device isn't compatible. Can you tell me what devices you're using with it? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 31 of 42

Thanks! 

Sure: he has a Google Pixel 3xl and I have an LG V20. I think they're both compatible since they both do connect at times. When I was having trouble today, I held down the Bluetooth icon and then it connected, so maybe that's a trick we could try? 

Message 32 of 42

@Susanlmt When a device is untested, it might work sometimes but not all the time.

On our Compatibility page, I see the Google Pixel XL and XL 2 listed as compatible but not the XL 3 so this could be the issue. The LG V20 should be fine though. 

The only other thing that I can think of is that the reader can only connect to one device at a time. So it'd have to be forgotten on one device before used with another. Are you guys doing that already?

Ashley C
Message 33 of 42

Ok. Is there something we need to do to make the reader forget the last device? I don't know if we're doing that or not.

It seems like his phone is compatible because it is able to connect sometimes. I'm guessing that if it wasn't compatible it would never be able to connect with the reader. Thanks! 

Message 34 of 42

Oh and I just reread the first part of your reply! Sorry. That does make sense! I'll let my associate know. Thanks again! (But I am still curious about the forgetting thing. 😉)

Message 35 of 42

@Susanlmt Oh yeah sorry I forgot to post the steps on how to do that!

To forget the reader, you'll visit your in-app Settings > tap Card Readers > select your reader from the list > tap Forget this Reader.

You can also disconnect the reader by holding down the button on the reader for 20 seconds, until the red lights stop flashing.

Ashley C
Message 36 of 42

Awesome! Thanks! We will try this. I really appreciate your help. This has been driving us slightly crazy! Take care!

Message 37 of 42

@Susanlmt I bet! That would drive me crazy too.

Take care yourself. 🙂

Ashley C
Message 38 of 42

I have three I phones,one square chip reader. Firstly do all the phones need the square app to use the square reader. Secondly I have had no trouble getting number one iPhone set . Can some one explain how in a simple manner how the other 2 phones are to connect to the reader,including confidentiality of the bank account set up on phone one.Two phones are employee’s who just need to except payments when I am not there. Thanks

Message 39 of 42

Hey @Southwestern142,

The reader does require the app as well to take payments yes.

The reader can also only connect to one device at a time so you couldn't connect one reader to three phones. You would need to forget the device on one phone to use it with another.

I'd recommend reading this Support Center article on the Contactless + Chip reader for further information. 

Ashley C
Message 40 of 42

Can I use my Square to process payments on Military Instillations overseas?

Message 41 of 42
Alumni

Are you asking if it's possible to accept payments using Square reader in another country, @armypatti?

If so, the answer is no - learn more here. Have you considered using a Square Online website to accept payments?
You could also look into leveraging Square Online checkout links.

Invoices may be another option for ya!

Let me know if this isn't what you were looking for, and welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 42 of 42