x

Can I use the Square app when connected to a cellular network?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: cellular networks

When, if ever, will I be able to process payments over my cellular network (as opposed to my clients WiFi networks)? The case: I provide on-site Computer Customer Support. There are times when the customer either does not have access to WiFi, or has forgotten the password (or the spouse doesn't have acess to the password). Why can't I run the app throught the cellular net? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

Hey @machelpdesk - The app has always been able to work with both WiFi and the data connection of your phone. Have you been having issues connecting? If so, can you describe what you're encountering?

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 6

I have NEVER been able to use the app in a purely cellular environment (i.e. no WiFi). The app just stalls. I've just upgraded to iOS 12. I'll see if that helps in this regards.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

I'm not sure what the issue was on your device but we have used Square on phones and iPads on cellular connections for over 5 years.  A couple of my friend's setups are 100% cellular based without the option of wifi.

there are settings on a device in settings that enable and disable apps using cellular data. on an iPhone go settings --> cellular --> check which apps are toggled to use cellular.

Message 4 of 6
Alumni

Thanks for the assist here @VanKalkerFarms and @Ron!

PS) @machelpdesk If either of these answers solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and we'll continue to help. Thanks!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

@machelpdesk, I know what your problem is and it's a very easy fix. If you want to use cellular on your phone or iPad simply turn your wifi off and your cellular connection will work perfectly. We use cellular only for the past 3 years and it works great unless wifi is still enabled.

Message 6 of 6