x

Can Square Canada accept USD funds?

I currently have a Square account for processing advertising payments for a publication in Ontario, Canada. The currency is obviously in CAD funds.

My question is this: I also publish a second print magazine and sell subscriptions to the print publication. Up until now I have been using PayPal only because 90% of my subscribers are located in the U.S. If I integrated Square to accept CC payments for this publication, a) Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account? The exchange rate is to my benefit, but U.S. customers usually being charged $22 USD won't understand being charged $30 CAD funds.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.? I live in Canada, but I do have a U.S. P.O. Box located in Niagara Falls, NY. Is this possible? My only concern is how do I get my Square funds deposited from a U.S. account into my bank in Canada?

Please help!! Wanting to do more business using Square!

Message 1 of 52
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @PublisherBlair! Great questions, I'll answer each one below:

Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account?

When you accept a payment in Canada the payment is processed in CAD. Keep in mind your customers may be charged the a conversion fee by their card-issuing bank to complete the payment.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.?

You could have two separate Square accounts. However, to create a US Square account you have to be located in the US to set up the account. You must also provide the required information to sign up for an account in the US and finally, you'd need to link a US bank account (you couldn't link a Canadian account.)

I wish there was an easier way to use Square in different countries. If anything changes we'll post here to let you know! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

an invoice? 

Message 22 of 52

yes an invoice created online

Message 23 of 52

you there Alex?

Message 24 of 52
Alumni

Alex is not with the Team anymore. Would you like for me to help you? @retrouver

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 25 of 52

Yes please

Message 26 of 52

yes please

Message 27 of 52
Alumni

Sure! When an invoice is sent from a Canadian account, the currency is set to CAD. Your customer's card issuer will convert the currency properly so you receive the correct amount of money owed to you in CAD. 

How much was the invoice in CAD? @retrouver 

Justin
Message 28 of 52

Hi JustinC, I thought 40US? but it went through as $40 CAD which is fine but my customer said she paid $40 US on her MC.?

Message 29 of 52
Alumni

Hmm, I would have your customer look at their bank statement again. @retrouver

Justin
Message 30 of 52

I am basically wondering the same thing. Any insight?

Message 31 of 52

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can a Canadian account change in USD?

Is it possible to charge my clients in USD if I'm using a Canadian Square Account?

Message 32 of 52

HI, I was able to find a Square discussion on your topic here.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Can-Square-Canada-accept-USD-funds/td-p/89154

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 33 of 52

NO, square-up not friendly to Canadian in US

Message 34 of 52

Hi!

Im setting up my website and we offer triple screen displays. Im located in Canada and have a Canadian bank account and a Square account. I entered into a contract with Extend.com for warranties on my product but they need the currency on the site to be in USD. I got a message on my WordPress that says: "Heads up! Your store currency is USD but your configured Square business location currency is CAD, so payments cannot be processed. Please choose a different business location or change your shop currency."

Will my square account automatically convert the USD currency payment into CAD? What do I do?

Message 35 of 52
Alumni

Welcome to the Seller Community!

I've moved your post over to this thread where @Helen explained how this will work for your Canadian Square account. Let me know if questions come up once you've had a chance to review this post, @triscreendisp โœจ

Valentina
Message 36 of 52

Yes I have read these messages before I posted my question because it also doesn't answer my question because my warranty provider needs our price in woocommerce to be in USD to work on their platform because they get the % off the price but it has to be in USD. Then I get an error from Square that it will not process payments because it's not in CAD. Are you saying that there's no solution to this judging from this thread since 2018?

Message 37 of 52
Alumni

Do you have a business partner and address in the US, @triscreendisp?

Valentina
Message 38 of 52

why people have to get business partners or other things???

I have legal US business, bank, for credit card Moneris, but when I try to open for e-commerce - square accept ONLY US citizens with SSN, ( on-site show SSN or ITIN but in reality - ONLY SSN!!!)

if you are Canadian no chance legally open square-up, I provide on-site square and PayPal 

Message 39 of 52

No. Is it a requirement? I find it a bit problematic that my whole business model and structure should change so that I can have a functionality that is basic in any ecommerce platform. Have I known that this is something that you have not provided or resolved for years since it was brought up then I wouldn't have gotten a square account as my payment solution? I hope you can have the decision-makers in your company finally seriously take note of this because this should have been a basic feature of your service.

Message 40 of 52

Yes, apparently Square is so far behind in their payment processing, Iโ€™m thinking of leaving it. Iโ€™m building a US client base and everything I sell has to be increased by a minimum of 28% to cover the conversion costs. Itโ€™s ridiculous!  I owned a business in Costa Rica and could invoice in USD, CDN, & Colones (Costa Rican).  This is not a hard concept in the banking industry. 

Message 41 of 52

Squareup is not friendly to e-commerce cross-border businesses. 
as a Canadian, you can't open a US account, square up asking for SSN. 

On-site square-up publishing "please provide SSN or ITIN (for businesses) but in reality, they did not accept ITIN  they ask for personal SSN ( it is only for American) Canadian have no chance legally open US account ๐Ÿ˜‰

For US e-commerce I used PayPal- friendly for cross border e-commerce.

Message 42 of 52