x

Can Square Canada accept USD funds?

I currently have a Square account for processing advertising payments for a publication in Ontario, Canada. The currency is obviously in CAD funds.

My question is this: I also publish a second print magazine and sell subscriptions to the print publication. Up until now I have been using PayPal only because 90% of my subscribers are located in the U.S. If I integrated Square to accept CC payments for this publication, a) Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account? The exchange rate is to my benefit, but U.S. customers usually being charged $22 USD won't understand being charged $30 CAD funds.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.? I live in Canada, but I do have a U.S. P.O. Box located in Niagara Falls, NY. Is this possible? My only concern is how do I get my Square funds deposited from a U.S. account into my bank in Canada?

Please help!! Wanting to do more business using Square!

Message 1 of 52
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @PublisherBlair! Great questions, I'll answer each one below:

Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account?

When you accept a payment in Canada the payment is processed in CAD. Keep in mind your customers may be charged the a conversion fee by their card-issuing bank to complete the payment.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.?

You could have two separate Square accounts. However, to create a US Square account you have to be located in the US to set up the account. You must also provide the required information to sign up for an account in the US and finally, you'd need to link a US bank account (you couldn't link a Canadian account.)

I wish there was an easier way to use Square in different countries. If anything changes we'll post here to let you know! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @PublisherBlair! Great questions, I'll answer each one below:

Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account?

When you accept a payment in Canada the payment is processed in CAD. Keep in mind your customers may be charged the a conversion fee by their card-issuing bank to complete the payment.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.?

You could have two separate Square accounts. However, to create a US Square account you have to be located in the US to set up the account. You must also provide the required information to sign up for an account in the US and finally, you'd need to link a US bank account (you couldn't link a Canadian account.)

I wish there was an easier way to use Square in different countries. If anything changes we'll post here to let you know! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 52

It is February 2020. Reading everything and... A Canadian ONLINE merchant is not able to accept USD payments from USD customers and transfer them into a USD currency account (in Canada)? How hard is that? I am 100% confident that my company is not the only online merchant from Canada that ships in USA. Square is still so square or are there updates to this from two years ago?

Message 3 of 52
Beta Member

@constantinek Crickets......you'll hear nothing but crickets from them on multi-currencies.

I've been posting for 4 years about the need to provide at very least cash tender options for multi currencies, let alone CC processing at different currencies.

Message 4 of 52
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @malibuclub - thanks for chiming in on this thread. Multi-currency acceptance and designation for reporting remains a Feature Request for us. At this time, we don't have any shareable plans or specific timeline for if and when this feature will become available.

We will continue to push out all relevant news and updates on this thread as we know them. Thanks again!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 52

NOT CORRECT ANSWER - I try to register an account with ITIN, but your system rejects and asking to provide SSN, I have a bank account without SSN, it registred true ITIN, another payment system, also registered using ITIN, only square up asking for mandatory SSN, and you do not have support line who can help ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž 

but on your website: "valid SSN or ITIN". ๐Ÿ˜‰

Social Security Number Requirement

We are required by banking industry regulations and federal law to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our primary account holders. The only alternative to providing a SSN is a valid ITIN. There is no way to create a Square account without this information.

Even if you plan on using Square as a business or organization, in order to create a Square account you must provide your individual name, mailing address, date of birth, and a valid SSN or ITIN.

Message 6 of 52

I present ITIN, but the system asks for SSN!!!!

I talk to live support, they taking ONLY !!!! SSN, the most square support team does not understand what does it means ITIN ๐Ÿ™‚ they do only Bla Bla Bla, they do not have the power to review it, they not have access to the system !!!! 

Message 7 of 52

I'm using PayPal instead of SquareUp for USD transactions and I'm very happy with it. PayPal offers money-back protection, which is more trusted by clients from the USA. I am very satisfied. While Square was used for old shopping cards, all new stores are now on PayPal.

Message 8 of 52

you provide SSN, with out SSN you will not have US account 

Message 9 of 52

Hi Helen, I have a business registered in the US. I was physically in Canada when I opened my Square Account and there is a Canadian flag at the bottom of your website. My rates are in USD. Will I be paid in USD? 

Message 10 of 52

Hello Helen,

I am using Square Online website. Is there a way to display product price in both CAD and USD? If not, how will the payment done by US clients if they are interested in our products?

Message 11 of 52
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @heerraval1

Jumping in for Helen on this one. 

You can accept payments from any country through your Square Online store, but you can only display one type of currency. Since you account is in Canada, you will only be able to display Canadian currency. 

When an international customer checks out, their bank/card company will take care of the conversion on their end. The customer will see it converted on their statement. Some customers may experience an exchange rate charge, but that will depend on their bank. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 12 of 52

Hi Kassi,

My question may be specific, but, I too am a CDN vendor + starting to get an influx of international interest. Since itโ€™s true that the international recipient will incur the conversion fees + such. What would setting up the shipping profile look like on the back end? Iโ€™m on the Starter subscription - no PayPal or real time shipping options. What would you suggest I do?

Going through this thread, I realize offering a multi-currency is a Feature Request + I hope something will be implemented soon because I want to accommodate sales that Iโ€™m not necessarily getting in my current market. 

The suggestion of opening a secondary Square account to support the US market is unfair + outrageous. I donโ€™t have the means, logistical staff nor location to supersede that with all the requirements Square is asking for. 

Again I realize that things take time, but I really hope Square rectifies this feature for its users. 

Message 13 of 52

I love using Square, but it's kind of unbelievable to me that this is still a Feature Request FOUR YEARS after it was first posted. I mean, if it was a low-level problem I get it. But my U.S. customers are dumbfounded that they are seeing $100 USD on their invoice for my $70 USD charge. For each new customer, I have to explain this amateur fiasco anew and get them to trust me enough to put through a payment in USD 30% higher than the actual price (at least this is what it looks like to them before they see their statement). Even for my repeat customers I have to keep taking them through this strange process. Is this really Square's fault?  Or is it something being forced by Canada and its payment monopolies to keep companies like Square down?  Let us know. I won't bother you guys about this if its out of your hands.  Thanks.

Message 14 of 52

Hey what is your business waiting for to accept USD for Canadian customers? A lot of my business is from the USA and I prefer adding funds to my USD - Canadian account. In Canadian dollars, I'm subject to additional local taxes in the province in Canadian dollars, so this platform is a complete waste for quite a few people. 

Message 15 of 52

Stripe will take payments from most countries in the currency in which they live in. I use Square for CAD and Stripe for everything else. 

Message 16 of 52

Pay Pal right now accept via CREDIT CARD button, easy, also PayPal protect me from moneyBack ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 17 of 52

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Canadian invoicing US customer in US funds. How do I make that work?]

I am in Canada and I need to invoice my US customer in US funds. He wants to pay with a US credit card is it possible for me to do so? Will I need to do the conversion myself or will it be done automatically on the bank end. 

Message 18 of 52
Alumni

Hello @blackshark,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

When charging a customer outside of your home country, all you have to worry about is entering the amount you would like to receive on your end.

For example, if your price point is $50 Canadian Dollars, and your charge a customer from the United States, the customer's bank will be in charge of the conversion and you will always receive your intended amount. 

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seciรณn y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 19 of 52

Hi Alex, I have a US customer who says they paid $40 US but I received $40 CAD? How can I troubleshoot this?

thanks!

Message 20 of 52
Alumni

Stepping in for Alex. Did the customer pay an invoice? Online Store purchase? 

@retrouver

Justin
Message 21 of 52