x

Can multiple ipads print to one printer?

We want to start printing our orders instead of handwriting them.  We have multiple wireless ipads using point of sale app and want to be able to print the orders to one printer in the kitchen.  Is that possible? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @Freshgrillatl

I've moved your post over to this existing thread. 

You can definitely setup multiple iPads to print to your Kitchen Ticket printer so long as they're all tied to the same WiFi network. 

Here's a good article that walk through the steps needed to accomplish this:

Create a Printer Station and Connect a Printer to Your iPad

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

I don't have experience with kitchen printers, so if this is wrong Square can correct me, but I have ethernet thermal receipt printers (not USB printers attached to a Square stand) and I have a dozen phones and iPads that can print to one printer.  I think the kitchen printers are the same networked devices that can be seen by many devices, and if they aren't an ethernet receipt printer will for sure work.  The kitchen printers are impact printers vs the thermal printers used at a cashier station.

Message 2 of 16

Yes it is. We have 6 iPads and they all can print to the same printer if you choose. You just have to go into Settings and go to the printer options and you can set what items print to what printer.

Message 3 of 16

I was wondering if you could help me? I have tried to set up my printer to both iPads. When I set it up on one iPad it is discoverable to the printer from that iPad but it is not discoverable from the other iPad when I try and set it up on the other iPad it is no longer discoverable on the first. They are both on the same Internet connection I have labeled all my categories and directed them to the right printer I cannot get them to print from both iPads simultaneously 

Message 4 of 16
Alumni

Hmm, that shouldn't be happening. Are both iPads up to date as well at the POS apps? @TheLocalHub

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 16

They are both on the same wireless.

They are both up to date, brand new

Thank you!

Message 6 of 16

Everywhere that I have researched says that the bluetooth only supports one device at a time, but ethernet wireless you can run more.  unfortunately, the bluetooth printers I purchased does not also have the ethernet connection.  I am thinking I have to return those and get one that has both bluetooth and ethernet or just ethernet.  I was trying not to run wires everywhere, as we have 2 registers and 5 printers, 3 of which I need to print from both registers (preferably wirelessly) to prep stations, and 2 of which are at the register for recipts (wired).  

Message 7 of 16
Alumni

Apologies for not clarifying the type of connection your printers have. I assumed they were ethernet.  You're right, while ethernet printers can connect to multiple POS devices, Bluetooth printers only allow one device to be connected. 

You're on the right path though - return the BT printers for ethernet. 

@TheLocalHub

Justin
Message 8 of 16

Hi, i have a full service restaurant. I have already an ipad with the square emv, nfc reader. i want to buy an additional square stand and have a kitchen printer. can i have the square stand and the separate ipad connected at the same time with the printer in the kitchen? can i submit orders in any device and can go directly to the kitchen with any problem? 

thank you in advance

Message 9 of 16

Best Answer

Hey @Freshgrillatl

I've moved your post over to this existing thread. 

You can definitely setup multiple iPads to print to your Kitchen Ticket printer so long as they're all tied to the same WiFi network. 

Here's a good article that walk through the steps needed to accomplish this:

Create a Printer Station and Connect a Printer to Your iPad

Message 10 of 16

I have 2 square registers I would like to link them to a single kitchen printer, is this possible and how can I do it

Message 11 of 16

Hey @Oasisgrill and welcome to the Seller Community! You can definitely link multiple Square Register's to one kitchen printer if the printer is an ethernet printer. 

I have merged your post to an existing one that talks about connecting multiple iPads to one kitchen printer, but the steps for the iPad and the Square Register are almost identical. As long as your kitchen printer and Square Registers are all on the same wifi network, you will need to just connect them via "Create Printer Station" in Settings.

You can reference EJ's post above as well for a detailed help article on getting started with printers. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 12 of 16

What if you don’t have a Wi-Fi networks and only a cellular connection per device?

Message 13 of 16

An ethernet printer has to be paired through Wifi, unfortunately. It will not work on a cellular network alone. @Nolanh

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 14 of 16

POS.jpg

Hi everyone!

I'm opening a restaurant and I intend to use the Square Up POS System as the main system.

I'm using an Android Tablet and as seen in the picture above, I am planning to set up two POS stations using one same account.

I'm going to buy the 3 units of the Star Micronics TSP-143IIIW for the receipt printers.

Is the set up above possible? Each tablet prints to 2 printers (the individual receipt printer AND the main kitchen printer).

Does the square up software support this?

Message 15 of 16
Alumni

Hey @Zatiman!

I've merged your post with this thread discussing the connection of multiple tablets to one kitchen printer. It's mostly related to iPads, but the setup should be relatively the same if you're using an ethernet printer with the tablets connecting to it via WiFi.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 16 of 16