x

Can you use Square to collect payments for pepper spray and other self defense products?

Just wondering if Square allows you to process payments for pepper spray, a self defense product?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

looking here at the Terms of service https://squareup.com/legal/payment

I see this (23) )(ii)

(23) sales of (i) firearms, firearm parts or hardware, and ammunition; or (ii) weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury 

I would not take that to mean pepper spray, which is meant to be used as a deterrent to incapacitate and not cause permanent physical harm.  How do you determine this to read @Kpay?

Message 2 of 11

I take it to mean what you said but concerned if I make switch to Square for these items I will find out later I'm in violation of square user agreement.  

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

Hi @markb007us - I'm looking into this now and will let you know what our team says. Thanks again to @VanKalkerFarms for pointing you in the direction of our Terms of Service. 

Message 4 of 11
Alumni

Just got an update - as long as the pepper spray is legally permitted, it will not be a violation of our Terms of Service!

Message 5 of 11

[This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Self Defense products]

Does Square allow for the sale of self defense products such as stun gun, koubatons,  etc?

Message 6 of 11
Admin

Hey @tknglazier !

I checked with the appropriate team, and the sale of Stun Guns and Koubatons is permitted by Square. As far as any other self defense products, please take a look at our Prohibited Goods and Services with Square Point of Sale page. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 7 of 11

Is it possible to get something official from Square? I contacted someone in sales via text and was told they were prohibited and was referred to the policy of guns, ammunition,  and products "intended to cause harm". I just dont want to run the chance of using your service and having my funds held for a violation.

Message 8 of 11
Admin

@tknglaizer If you have questions about the items you're planning to sell go ahead and call our CS team.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 11

Can you tell me if you got anything official from square on selling pepper spray and stun guns? I also want to be in compliance before I start. 

Message 10 of 11

Isabelle,

Can we rely on this response to sell pepper spray, stun guns and kubatons with Square? 

Message 11 of 11