x
Super Seller

Cash drawer not balancing

I have a coffee sho and over the  last two day my cash has ended out of balance, with over $50 dollars in sales. 
I had two different experiences employees run my register in two separate days, so I really doubt is on them.

has anyone noticed square not registering cash sales, thus end of day the register ends up with more cash than expected?

it happens on august 16 and 17 of 2021. I do know there were some reported issues today with online sync but there is nothing on the POS

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Beta Member

Not sure if this helps but at my restaurant I have multiple pos stations that our servers use. However only one is connected to the cash drawer so I have enable that computer to take cash payments. The other POS stations do not have cash drawers assigned to them therefore we do not close out any cash transactions on those. if a server does cash out a transaction on those by mistake and we put the money in the drawer it will cause my drawer to be over that amount. Maybe this will help or maybe just confuse.. but there is my experience. 😉

Message 2 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cupzcoffeeaz,

Thanks for writing back in to the community 🙂

We didn't report any outages or issues with cash sales recently. Have you had a chance to review your cash drawer history yet? If you have multiple Point of Sale, it might also be worth checking each device the sales were taken under, in case they were recorded on another POS. Take a look atthis article for some more tips on cash drawer management.

Please let us know how you go!

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Hi @Arie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m using the cash drawer history. I wasn’t so concerned day one. I thought it was a team member mistake giving change out. The second day at had my most experience person managing the register, and closing the register. Over a year she has been off max by a dollar or two. And yesterday we were up 105 dollars. It is hard to believe for me that we made an error of 105 dollars in change.

we only have one drawer

Message 4 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Can you share a bit more about the set up in your coffee shop @cupzcoffeeaz? I know you mentioned you only have one drawer, but I'm wondering if you've got another point of sale station set up. 

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Since the new version came out, our register has come up short twice. Both times I was not able to figure it out based on the video. I have high res video and can see each dollar coming in and going out. One time we were short around $3.50 the other time was $4. I have never not been able to track down why we were short and I have a feeling it has something to do with the updated version. It is not as if we have a lot of cash transactions, maybe 30-40 per day and with my camera system it's very easy to watch the money go in and out and verify each transaction as well as account for each no sale. 

Message 6 of 6