x

Cash refunds not properly posting

For the third time, a cash refund has not been properly reflected in our drawer at the end of the day. The cash isn't being "taken back out" in the back office and the drawer appears to be over. How do we resolve this?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller Alumni

I had the same issue recently, where a cash refund (which our business almost never does) didn't show the money coming out of the register.  I thought it was probably just a glitch, but now it seems like it's a problem all over.

We're using the Square Register - which system are you using?  If it's also the Register, the problem may be limited to that system.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 13

We are also using Square Register. I haven't reached out to them directly yet. Did you do that and did you have any luck?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

No, I haven't because I wasn't sure if it was just a one-time thing since we don't do many cash transactions or refunds.  But Square's support team monitors these boards and will see the issue.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 13
Admin

@MakSalonSpa and @GlassJudy

Thanks for surfacing this issue. I'd love to learn a little bit more about what you are experiencing.

I want to clarify that you are both only using one Square Register, and the cash refunds are being refunded from that specific Register (where the drawer is not showing the refund deducted), not from the Dashboard or other device.

If you are only using one Register and are issuing the cash refund specifically from this device, we'd love to get more details and let our team troubleshoot this a bit more.  If you'd be willing to do a test refund transaction and video the problem, that is incredibly helpful to our team when diagnosing these issues.

Let me know, and we can start open a ticket with our Hardware team.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 5 of 13

Thanks Kelly.

Yes, we are using Square register at our two locations. I have run into this issue at least one time at each place. Both times I had to do a cash refund for an error payment type. In both cases no actual cash was put in the drawer and none was taken out, but when I closed the drawer at the end of the shift the drawer was over by the exact amount of the refund, as though it were never deducted from what “should” be the day’s ending cash.

Message 6 of 13
Admin

@GlassJudy

Glad to hear it's not an actual bug! But if you have issues going forward, please let us know so we can look into it for you.

@MakSalonSpa
I'm going to start a support ticket for you with our Customer Success team so they can reach out for a video and get some more information.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 7 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

This is embarrassing, but it turns out that I was mistaken.  While going back through the reports for the day that sale was refunded, I found out that the employee entered the refund as a check rather than cash, so our discrepancy is explained.  She told me that she refunded cash, so I just assumed that that was the way she entered the refund on the register.

Judy T Shumway
Message 8 of 13

@kellyj I ran into the same issue this week.  We had a customer pay $250 cash, we ran the sale.  They changed their mind and wanted to pay by card instead.  We issued a refund for the cash and ran the card.  At the end of the day, the drawer report showed that we were short by $250 cash.

In my transaction list, it looks like the $250 refund is done twice BUT the final sales report only shows one refund for $250.  The transaction list is not matching the sales report or drawer report when it comes to refunds.  How can we resolve this?

Message 9 of 13
Admin

@calcoastbeer

Sounds like we really need to dive deeper into this. If the Sale is done from the Same device as the refund is issued with the drawer attached, the reporting should reflect it. It will not reflect it if is on different accounts, but in this case, it seems that that our support team should look further into it.

I've requested Support to reach out to you for more information.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 10 of 13

@kellyj Thank you!  This has come up twice now for us.  We only use one drawer and it shows the drawer amount cash expected as incorrect after the refund.

Message 11 of 13

I think the same thing is happening to us. I am researching and staff are frustrated today and they are on a deadline.  

SQUARE: Refund Transactions in Reports – Issue

Statement of the Problem:  Cannot see refunded transaction in reports and now two transactions are on account.

1. Entered transaction as cash: $133.70, determined it needed to be entered as check
  2. Refunded transaction (same day)
  3. Reentered a new transaction as CHECK for $133.70
  4. Checked Reports:
    1. Did not take transaction #1 out of system*. Now there are two deposits of $133.70 x 2 for a total of $267.40
    2. Cannot see the refund in the report*

Expectation:  Refunds should show up on reports

Research:  Refunds should show up on your Reports on Dashboard

1. Go to SALES on your Online Dashboard
  2. See refunds in your SALES SUMMARY as well as in your TRANSACTIONS
  3. *Also...staff can do a custom report to show refunded transactions, trouble is, the records will be off as it appears there are TWO deposits, one cash and one check.

Note to staff:  Refunds are not voidable; cannot delete transactions from your payment history

Message 12 of 13
Admin

@oceanbrzzz

Thanks for your post and Welcome to the Community.

Hopefully I can shed some light here into what is going on.

Cash drawer reporting does have some current limitations - we're aware of these and working to update this in the future.

A few things to know and understand:

• The amount expected in the drawer should be the daily sales minus refunds.
  • Checks are counted as Cash
  • Refunds from other sources - will not show up as a refund on the Drawer Report (because it's not Cash coming out) but the balance will be adjusted

Example Scenario:

At the beginning of the day you have $100.00 in your cash drawer. You accidentally ring a payment of $50.00 as Other Tender (this could be trade or anything not currency to the system, it's not wise enough to know the difference), it's going to assume you've taken the value of $50.00. You then refund this Other Tender of $50, and correctly enter it as $50 by check.  Your drawer report will look like this:

• Starting Cash $100.00
  • Cash Sales (checks and cash) $50.00 (actual currency in drawer)
  • Cash Refunds: None (you have not refunded cash or check)
  • Paid In/Out: $0.00
  • Expected Amount: $150.00 (starting balance of drawer + cash/check payments taken)
  • Actual Amount $150.00
  • Difference $0.00

What you'll see in your Sales Report is a bit different, as your Sales reporting is actually showing you the full picture of your business transactions for the day. (View this by going to the Transactions tab of your App and selecting the date to view)

Your Sales report by comparison will show:

• Gross Sales $100.00 

Returns $50.00

Discounts & Comps $0.00

Net Sales $100.00

Taxes $0.00

Tips $0.00

Gift Card Sales $0.00

Total $50.00

• Payments 

Total Collected $50

Cash $50.00

Card $0.00

Gift Card $0.00

Other $0.00

Fees $0.00

Net Total

$100.00

Last tidbit - your transactions when mistendered are going to remain in your Sales reporting - but show as refunded. This is to keep from falsifying records.  

In your case I would suggest comparing your Sales Report for that day to your Drawer Report and see if it makes this make a bit more sense. 

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 13 of 13