x
Beta Member

Change Account Owner and Square card

It seems that the Account owner cannot be changed; in signing up for a Square card, the account would be in my maiden name, for which I no longer have any identification other than my birth certificate.

1) what is the rationale for not being able to change the name on the account? If we provide proof like we do for any other institution for a name change, why is this not possible at Square? 

2) Square's instructions are to create a new account- what happens to my Square website if I open a new account?  Is all this data transferred? I have a website with subscribers, etc that I can't afford to lose. What is the transition to a new account? Can I transfer the account to myself? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Beta Member

I agree this really needs solving, it creates so many issues, transgender people would have to use their deadname, businesses passed down through generations would have an old name tied to them, people who marry and change their names can't identify themselves properly, it seems odd that Square still don't allow users to change their names and other details? Just let us contact support for it or something? It would really make a lot more sense!

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 2 of 6

Bumping this in hope something new has come up. I dont want my full name to be showing on my square website or on customers receipts. 

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Seller Community, @LeevanaBee ๐Ÿ‘‹

This post is about changing the account holder's name, but I believe your request is different? Can you clarify where your name is showing on the website? The site would show your business name, but I don't believe it should be showing the actual account owner name and details. 

Message 4 of 6

Hi Bernadetta, I managed to figure out how to change it. As the sole employee of my business I wasn't looking in the right spot and had to change my employee name and now my full name no longer shows. 

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Glad to hear, @LeevanaBee ๐Ÿ˜Š and thanks for updating us! โค๏ธ

Message 6 of 6