x

Chip reader and Discover card

Just a heads up to those who don't own a chip reader yet... And anyone accepting Discover card. If you don't use a chip reader specially with Discover card you might open yourself to liability.I had not gotten mine because I thought the swipe reader was enough. (background) I am a milliner, I make hats, one of a kind and made in my shop. A bespoke small business. Last week this Feb. 2020 I was notified by square that Discover was taking $198.00 back from me with no chance to argue it. Back in Dec. 2019 I did a show in Chicago and a client bought a hat. It seems that he just disputed the charge [did he forgot? did he got buyers's remorse?]. Because I swiped the Discover chip card instead of using the reader I can't contest the dispute. I have his name 4 numbers of his card and a signature. I've spent hours on the phone with no luck! [Argh!]. It is extremely unfair that I don't get a say in the matter, that I can submit the payment record... And it's worth that I can't get my hat back. Or if his card was stolen? Why someone notifies me properly? In my book... They just stole from me! And it is not fair. Lesson learned, got a reader and won't take Discover cards.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Seller Community, @Lilliput_h02

Thank you for reaching out about EMV liability. So sorry! This could happen on any chip card that is swiped, it's part of a liability shift that happened. You can read more about it here

Also, it gives you some tips on how to protect your business from EMV liability to help you in the future. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2