x
Admin

Cleaning your Square Hardware FAQs

This material has been prepared for informational purposes only.

Note: For detailed and updated recommendations on cleaning and disinfection refer to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) website and read the CDC resources for businesses and employers

Recently we’ve had a few questions from sellers about how to clean your point of sale. We’ve put together these FAQs about cleaning:

• Square's Contactless + Chip Reader
  • Square's Chip + Swipe Reader
  • Square Stand
  • Square Terminal

How do I clean Square Readers?

An option that may help disinfect your equipment, and reduce the spread of the virus include using an alcohol solution with at least 70% alcohol to wipe down your hardware.

To clean your Square Reader for Contactless and Chip, first turn it off by holding the power button down for 15-20 seconds (you can turn it back on pressing the power button once). Please disconnect any charging cable as well. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the exterior of your reader. Avoid getting moisture in any openings and don't submerge your product in any cleaning agents. Don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide. You can use 70% rubbing alcohol to clean the exterior of your reader. Refer to the CDC’s cleaning and disinfection recommendations.

To clean your Square Reader for Chip and Swipe disconnect it from your phone or tablet. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the exterior of your reader. As with any device avoid getting moisture in the opening and don't submerge your reader in any cleaning agents. Don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide. You can use 70% rubbing alcohol to clean the exterior of your reader.

Please remember, with the Square Reader for Contactless and Chip you can always accept contactless payment cards and contactless payment methods like Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay.

How do I clean Square Stand and my iPad?

An option that may help disinfect your equipment, and reduce the spread of the virus include using an alcohol solution with at least 70% alcohol to wipe down your hardware.

To clean your Square Stand, first remove the iPad from the cradle, then unplug the power adapter, and disconnect any other connected hardware. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with an alcohol solution with at least 70% alcohol and use it to clean your Stand. As with any device, avoid getting moisture in any openings or in the card slot. Don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish.

To clean your iPad, remove it from the Stand and turn the iPad off. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with an alcohol solution with at least 70% alcohol, and use it to clean the iPad. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. This article has more information about cleaning an Apple device. Refer to the CDC’s cleaning and disinfection recommendations

Can my customers use a stylus for PIN Entry on my iPad, tablet or phone? 

A stylus can be used to enter a PIN on an iPad, iPhone or Android tablet or phone. But this depends on your business set up. For example, if you are unable to secure the stylus to a kiosk/checkout counter the stylus could get lost. Customers can try using their own stylus or pen to sign on an iPad, iPhone or Android tablet or phone. 

How do I clean Square Terminal? 

To clean your Square Terminal, first shut down the Terminal. Clean the exterior with a damp, soft, lint-free cloth. As with Square Register, don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish. To clean the screen on your Terminal, shut down your Terminal. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with an alcohol solution with at least 70% alcohol, then use it to clean the screen. 

Refer to the CDC’s cleaning and disinfection recommendations.

Can my customers use a stylus on Square Terminal? 

[UpdatedStylus pens can also prevent employees from touching the screen directly. If you have a business with multiple employees or want to offer the stylus to customers, consider a stylus multipack to avoid cross-sharing and clean periodically with a disinfectant.

Some sellers have found the following styluses effective: 

We hope these FAQs are helpful. If you have any questions about your Square hardware please reply below.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 1
0 REPLIES 0