x

Constant error "Please restore internet to take payments"

I am using a Samsung tablet and Square chip/magstripe reader and am regularly getting an error at the top of the dashboard saying "please restore internet to take payments" however my internet is perfectly fine. My tablet has its own SIM with internet and the connection is decent.

The only way to get the app working again is to close it down and re-open which is time consuming waiting for it all to load when i have a customer infront of me,.

Is this an issue with the app? I have the most recent version. Is there something i can do to stop this from occuring? 

I was not having this problem last year, it has started in the last few month and happens every day now, sometimes more than once.

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Alumni

Hi @HelenSkuse, and sorry to hear about your issues with our app ๐Ÿ™

It sounds like our app isn't able to connect to the Internet, which is required to take credit card payments. It certainly sounds strange that you are able to access other Internet-enabled apps on your tablet - when I've seen in this issue previously, deleting the app from your tablet and re-installing it from the Google Play store usually corrects the problem. Don't worry - all of your account information is stored with us, and linked to your Square account login details.

Let me know how you get on - hopefully we can have you up and running soon!

Message 2 of 19

I am having the same problem with square - I have an ASUS tablet - i bought both this year.  It happens all day everyday and I am losing customers.  we use it as we are food vendors at fairs & festivals...  I tried to keep on in my house to see if it happens at home and it still does it - how do i fix this?

Message 3 of 19

Same here, on a Moto G5 phone. It very definitely does have internet, both Wifi and 4G and every other app uses it.

Message 4 of 19

Same issue here, have to restart the phone to clear it.

Message 5 of 19
Beta Member

I've had the same issue ever since I had to get a new phone.  Then today I discovered there is a second app for Square....a beta version. I downloaded the app and  VOILA I can take payments again.  Maybe the newer app will work for you, like it did for me.

Message 6 of 19

The hack fix I found to work is turn off then on again your mobile network and it will reconnect.

Message 7 of 19

I have been having the same issue. I am using Samsung tablet sm-t378v I've had this happen about every 20 - 30 min during the day. Will process a transaction and the next transaction gives me "restore internet to take payments" my only remedy right now is to put my tablet in airplane mode and wait 5 sec. Then turn airplane mode off and it will reconnect to reader and internet. Very delayed for customers to checkout with me because of this. My internet connection is perfectly fine on any other apps and speedtest.net when we receive the "restore internet to take payments" error. It is definitely a app issue and not internet service. Please fix!

Message 8 of 19
Beta Member

Joining this thread - same issue.  Tablet goes idle for a period and when I go to use POS it says 'restore internet' however the internet is fine, working for everything else.  Have to swipe close the app and restart it.  Several updates ago I had the issue of it losing the bluetooth to the reader, that is improved but now it has been this issue for quite a while.

Message 9 of 19

same issue. Have to kill the app then restart it to get it to work.

Message 10 of 19
Square

Hi @HelenSkuse

Thanks for reaching out! 

Are you able to confirm the exact model of your Samsung tablet so we can take a further look into this issue?

As a starting point, please attempt to delete the Square app, restart your device and then re-download the app and test it out. You will not lose any account information as your data is stored with us. 

Let me know how you go! Feel free to get back with any further questions you may have. 

Message 11 of 19

Hi it's a galaxy Tab A

Have tried deleting the app etc doesn't make a difference. Have had this problem since 2018...

Message 12 of 19
Square Community Moderator

@HelenSkuse I'm really sorry to hear the frustration regarding this bug. I would recommend calling into our support team so they can file a bug for you. It sounds like there may be an issue with the internet connection, but engineering can get a data report from the app to potentially see what may be going on. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 19

Happening on my iPad.  Just started today.  Tried on my iPhone, some issue.  Tried on our other iPhone, same issue.

Tried to restart modem, no good.  The aeroplane mode fix mentioned above worked BUT this should not happen!!

Message 14 of 19
Admin

Is your WiFi working consistently for other apps on each device @BlackSnakeD

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 15 of 19

Yes.  This is the first time this has happened.  All devices were operating normally in terms of Wifi & internet.

After the Flight mode reset it worked normally.  It continues to do so.  However, this unexpected outage is a concern.

Message 16 of 19
Admin

Usually I would suggest that it's a device issue, but the fact that it's happening on both devices is more concerning.

If you've deleted and reinstalled the app on both devices (while you have no payments in offline mode) and that doesn't resolve the issue, please give us a call tomorrow so our Support Team can file a bug with our Engineering Team.

Really sorry about any inconvenience this has caused @BlackSnakeD ๐Ÿ

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 19

Hi Isabelle,

will you be posting the outcome of this case for the benefit of the rest of us still affected by the same problem ?

Message 18 of 19
Admin

@Richard0070,

Our support team can respond to tickets or calls and troubleshoot issues on a case by case basis - at the moment we're not experiencing any widespread issues here and the "Please restore internet to take payments" message will usually appear correctly to denote that there are network issues.

The reason one seller may see this message could be different to the reason another user sees it, and usually these issues lie beyond Square's control. In the event that we did identify any major and widespread issues with the app displaying this messaging incorrectly then we'd be able to share any outcomes! You can also use https://www.issquareup.com as a resource to follow updates on any widespread issues.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 19