x
Admin

Contactless Card PIN Entry Increases for COVID-19 FAQ

With physical distancing and contactless payments being top of mind, card networks are increasing CVM (card verification method) limits for contactless card payments. To help combat COVID-19 and help sellers promote physical distancing, Square is increasing the limit on contactless card transactions in step with these changes. These updates will be delivered through firmware updates, and apply to the Square Contactless and Chip Reader, Square Terminal, and Square Stand for Contactless and Chip.

What’s changing?

Physical distancing and contactless payments are top-of-mind for consumers and sellers. Credit card networks including Visa, Mastercard and American Express have announced their support for raising contactless card payment limits from AU$100 to AU$200 across Australia.

What’s changing for Square sellers?

Square is increasing contactless card payment limits. Customers will be able to make contactless payments up to AU$200 before being prompted for a PIN with Visa, Mastercard, and American Express branded cards.

When will this change be in place?

Contactless limit increases will be included as part of regular firmware updates, which are being rolled out across Square hardware over the next few days. There’s no action sellers need to take to enable these new limits. All hardware should be updated by April 28th, 2020.

What payment methods does this apply to?

The new AU$200 limit applies to Visa, Mastercard, and American Express branded contactless cards

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Beta Member

The reader/app does not request PIN for transactions over $200 AUD. I setup a charge for $350 and tapped my phone using Google Pay. The transaction went through normally, no PIN requested.

Message 2 of 3
Admin

Hey @Ibushaz,

Thanks for posting, heads up I replied to your original thread 👍

This is actually the first case I've heard of this not working as intended, so my advice is to have both our support team and your card provider take a look into this individual payment to determine what has occurred - we're not able to look at private transactions on your account via our Seller Community forum, and the PIN entry requirement when making a payment should be prompted by the card provider.

It's possible there's something else at play here, such as the provider having set a higher PIN entry limit on the card/Google Pay. Also, if the card isn't an Australian issued card it won't be subject to the same PIN entry rules. There are possible explanations for this 🙂

While we're not able to look into your private account or transactions via our Seller Community, you can call our support team on 1800 760 137 to look further into this transaction. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. Your card payment provider will also be able to provide further insight into the PIN entry requirements for that particular card, which Square isn't privy to.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 3