x

Contactless and chip reader will not process payments

The reader does connect with iPhone, but will not either recognize chip card when inserted or process payments. I always have to go back to swipe reader to process payments. Frustrating!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @JJC, thanks for reaching out to the seller community and sorry to hear about the trouble with your reader.

Is this happening with all chip cards that you're trying to process? I would suggest giving these Contactless and Chip Reader troubleshooting tips a run-through, as they usually resolve any issue right away. If after that, you're still running into trouble, please let our Support Team know and they'll get back to you with next steps ASAP.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6

reader is connected and paired. Once chip is inserted it take about four seconds and then receive 2 messages 1. sale has been canceled 2. Card is in reader....(these messages both appear while card is still in reader....have tried different cards and reloaded app several times. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Tybean1213,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your chip reader. It looks like the same issue has been brought up within the Community before so I merged your post with an existing thread that I searched/found.

Check out @Tom 's answer above for troubleshooting steps and how to contact Support if those don't work. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

Hello, I’ve gone through the list...I’m still receiving two messages simultaneously 

(sale declined card removed) and over that ( card inserted reader connected )

the reader is connect to the register and I get green lights but several seconds into transaction the messages reappear... 

I’ve reloaded app done 

all plugs and connections checked

reboot reader by holding button down for 20 seconds done 

Bluetooth is on

this all seemed to start after they last update.
any help will be appreciated. This is a newish chip reader I believe I’ve had it maybe 4 months. Thanks beth 

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to run through the troubleshooting steps listed here, @Tybean1213.

Since you're still experiencing some troubles, please reach out to us directly - I recommend a phone call, if possible 🙂 Our Customer Success team can work with you to see if there are any additional troubleshooting steps that can be taken, as they have more visibility into your account than we do here in the Seller Community.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6