x

How can I disable the use of "Custom Amount"?

How can I disable the use of "Custom Amount"?

Is it possible for me to disable the use of Custom Amount as I want our retail sales people to be selecting the actual item that the customer is purchasing and not keying in the amount separately? This will help us clean up our bookkeeping on the back end. Thanks!

47 Comments
Square

There isn't currently a way to disable custom amounts in the Register app, though I definitely see how that would help in this case. 

As you've probably seen, "Custom Amounts" will show as their own item the Item Report; additionally, if you're using using employee management, you can track sales by employees so that should help you narrow down when and why it's being used. Hopefully that helps! 

If it is a setting or permission we offer in the future, I'll update this thread!

Has there been an update yet that allows disabling the custom amount?  This is such a huge hassle and I don't understand why I can't delete it or at the very least, require a passcode.  This is by far the worst part of Square for us.  We have a high turnover rate since we are in a college town, so every 3 months (semester) we hire...and we fight this constantly.  Please help me figure out HOW to hide, delete or require a passcode.

I am facing the same thing. I am pretty close to just using guided access to remove that area of the screen from being touched. Guided access has a parental control with passcode feature that allows for this. It’s an iOS feature. 

I have a lot of consignment items that are being put into custom amount when the cashier doesn't feel like looking the item up.  I'm interested in your guided access comment?  Does anyone know if square has addressed this issue? I see threads about it going back several years.  Its really a big issue when you are trying to track sales. 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @andersonzetc

There hasn't been any developments on this request, as of yet. I appreciate your patience while we continue to evolve our products to our seller's needs. 

Hi!  Really hoping there's been some progress on disabling the Custom Amount feature in Square. We operate a dozen retail shops and would really benefit from having controls in place to prevent shopkeepers from using this item, charging unapproved prices, misapplying sales taxes, and impacting inventory accuracy at the store level.  

What do you think the estimated timeline is for this type of access control?

Thanks!

Hi @morganm,

There's no timeline to give at this time on this request.

Thank you for letting us know how this would benefit your business so we have more feedback to give our Product Teams!

Its been three years since the initial request to have the option to disable "custom amounts" was requested. This is a horrible feature that messes up sales reports, tax reports, and more. Any updates on this ?

Hi @Jayyusuf!

I moved your post to an existing thread for this feature request since it already exists within the Community and so our Product Team can track requests in one place.

There's no updates to give on this but if there ever was- we'd be sure to update the thread!

Beta Member

It's pretty dumb that this feature has not been added.  Coming from a software background, I'm 99% sure it's a stupid simple change. 😕