x
tomsolar

Customize Receipts: automatically numbered

Hi,

Is there a way to have all receipts numbered in order of payment?

Following Colombian Law:
- all receipts should have a number on the printed receipt
- the numbers should be consecutive (00001, 0002, 00003, etc.)
This second item is causing me trouble at the moment, as my receipts don't show any consecutive numbers...

I can't find the option in the software right now? Any help? Is this feature on the roadmap? Should I build this myself based on an API? 

Best regards,
Tom

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Admin

Re: Customize Receipts: automatically numbered

Hey Tom, 

When you enable the ability to print order tickets to a compatible receipt printer for each sale, you have the option to enter a customer number or name, or auto-assign ticket numbers. 

The auto-assign feature should print numbers in consecutive order. 

Check out this Support Center article for instructions:

Print Order Tickets

Message 2 of 32
santiago

Hi EJ_

We had a problem with the printer.

So we need to asign ticket number for digital tickets, there is a way to do so??

Message 3 of 32
santiago

or invoice numer??

Message 4 of 32
Highlighted
Admin

Hey @santiago, thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble with your printer.

To be sure we're on the same page, are you referring to the four digit number at the bottom of digital receipts (mixed with numbers and letters)? If so, those identifiers are not customizable at this time — but I will be sure to share your experience with our Product Liaison team.

If this doesn't make things more clear, can you reply with a bit more information on the trouble you're encountering? We'll be happy to have a closer look.

Message 5 of 32
KCRA

I have the same problem. According to our tax law, receipts that are issued to clients. should have a number, following each other in consequtive sequence.

How are the Payment ID and Transaction ID numbers created, I see no logical order to them?

And on the report Item sales report, will it be possible to include the receipt numbers? Or is that what the Payment and Transaction ID is for? But again, they make no sense and have no consequtive order to them.

Thanx

Message 6 of 32
Admin

Howdy @KCRA! 🤠

So the transaction ID is used to search for a specific in your Square Dashboard. For numbering the receipts in a consecutive order check out @EJ_'s answer above! This will get you in the right spot. 

Message 7 of 32
SWAEC

I am adding my own *ME, TOO* here. Our auditor (state government) is essentially saying that if sequentially-numbered receipts are not used, we will have to stop using Square.

Sequentially-numbered receipts *NEED* to happen, please!

Message 8 of 32
Admin

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @SWAEC

What state are you located in? And have you checked to see if the Print Order Tickets solution works to satisfy their requirements? 

Message 9 of 32
gymratsinc

The Order Ticket feature is just a rig and a temporary fix at best.  The Order numbers go from 1-99 then starts over.  That means you'll have duplicate orders with the same order#.

I sell custom items at 2 day events.  Having a receipt number (not a jumbled mess of letters and numbers) makes picking up items SO much easier.  I've been using Square a couple years now and I can really only have 1 of 4 registers using Square just b/c I can't get a real receipt number printed.

I have kept my old laptops (Vista!) and my super old cash register software for the sole purpose of having a sequential receipt number. Crazy.

Message 10 of 32