x

Device not supported Google is unable to verify that your device is compatible with Android Samsung

My Samsung S4 tablet was working correctly till today when I got this message

Device not supported Google is unable to verify that your device is compatible with Android

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

I thought I'd revisit this thread, this particular issue was caused by a Google update for some Samsung tablets that impacted Australian users specifically.

Our engineering team was able get in touch with Google and resolve the issue.

Note that there are a range of different reasons Android devices may not meet our security requirements for using an Android device as a card processing terminal - this specific solution was for otherwise compatible Samsung tablets that suddenly stopped working after a Google update in late August 2020.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

I have just received my square and after ensuring the square was charged I downloaded the app and paired the devices. After successfully pairing via bluetooth I get the following message

Device not supported Google is unable to verify that your device is compatable with Android. Please try another device, or restore this one to factory settings.

i am using a Nomu - S30 running Android version 6.0

Message 2 of 17
Admin

Hi @ramesa,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The Nomu S30 is unfortunately not currently supported by Square. There are several thousand Android devices on the market, and we strive to support them all. In some cases, however, the Android device may meet all the requirements for compatibility but still not communicate properly with the Square hardware or the Square apps.

To help you figure out exactly what devices you can use, check out our compatibility page to see that Android devices that we have tested as working.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 3 of 17

Hi @Seamus,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I think at this stage I will purchase another PayPal device as I damaged the last one. After some very positive reports regarding the square from other vendors I thought I would give it a try. I now discover I would need to buy a new device for it to work therefore I think I will return the square and re-order a new PayPal device as it has worked well for me for some years.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Peter

Message 4 of 17
Admin

Hi @NSSR,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your reader!

Where were you seeing this message? Was it within Square's POS app or was it an Android notification? It may be worth getting in touch with support to help troubleshoot this further - you call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time) or email via this form.

Happy to try and help as much as possible via this thread, if you can post screenshots of any errors that would help provide me with some more context!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 17

My Tab A is giving me Device not Supported. Google is unable to verify that the device is compatible with Android. I have tried restarting both devices, I have updated all software and still get this error. 

Message 6 of 17
Admin

Hey @Nukes86,

I moved your post to this thread as it looks like another user has had a similar issue today. At the moment you'll need to get in touch with support to follow up on this issue! You call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time) or email via this form.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 17

This happened to me also, on Friday morning. I was able to connect to my phone, but still can't get the Tab A to connect (unpaired it from phone so it was available to repair with Tab A). It has been working well, with no problems at all every day for many months.

Message 8 of 17

Iโ€™m also having the same issue. Been using a Samsung Galaxy A8 tablet for years with square. Never had an issue until Friday morning when it is telling me that the device is not supported. Have updated all the software and apps, rebooted the tablet, force quit the app, reset the reader, tried a 2nd reader. Still no luck.

Message 9 of 17

curious that my TabA 8 got the same error on that same morning. Checked that Tablet and square app were up to date, yes they were. Did a 'set reader back to factory setting' action and tried to re-pair it, and also reinstalled the app on the tablet, but same error. I did get the square reader to connect to my phone, a Moto E5, and I was able to do payments that morning with the phone, where people didn't have cash. Not ideal. Much easier with the bigger screen of my tablet. This suggests something happened to make our tablets not like connecting with the reader.  Hoping the error can be fixed.

Message 10 of 17

ok, just trying again, and noticing that the square reader is updating. Nup. Fails with same error.

Message 11 of 17
Admin

Hey @wlogan and @VanWildCoffee,

Thanks for reporting this!

Based on the number of inquiries we're seeing here and via Support, it looks like Google or possible Samsung may have released an update for some of its tablets that is conflicting with the security checks Square performs on devices to ensure they can to securely process payments. If you've not already, I recommend getting in touch with Support to report this, they currently have a bug filed with our engineering team, who are investigating the issue further.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 12 of 17

This was fixed after 2 or 3 days, I think it was a google update for the tablet, been working ok. While the tablet wasn't working, I was able to use the app with my phone (moto e5). Small screen wasn't as easy to work with, but I was glad I was still able to take payments. Now the tablet is back in action, so happy days once again.

Message 13 of 17
Admin

Best Answer

I thought I'd revisit this thread, this particular issue was caused by a Google update for some Samsung tablets that impacted Australian users specifically.

Our engineering team was able get in touch with Google and resolve the issue.

Note that there are a range of different reasons Android devices may not meet our security requirements for using an Android device as a card processing terminal - this specific solution was for otherwise compatible Samsung tablets that suddenly stopped working after a Google update in late August 2020.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 14 of 17
Beta Member

Isn't it high time to kick Google into touch?

cheers, Mark.

Message 15 of 17
Admin

@King_Casey depends what side of the Barassi Line you reside on.

If you're on the left hand side you may want to award a 50m penalty against them instead ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 16 of 17
Beta Member

It's a 'behind' you're thinking of...but a swift kick up one seems appropriate.

Sold off my Lenovo due to 'Google not recognising your android device'.

cheers, Mark.

Message 17 of 17