x
Beta Member

Different UIs on Square Terminals

I bought a new Square Terminal and the UI is different from the other terminals I have. The old terminals are running 3.36.0002. The newer terminal is running 4.36.0053.

Is there any way to get the old terminals to upgrade to the newer version? Leaving them on overnight doesn't seem to have worked. The "Software Update" line in the settings reports "Software Up To Date".

It's frustrating to have the UI differences because the devices look identical otherwise. I'd like to use the "new experience" checkout as well but I can't if I can only enable it on one device. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

HI, you can try to contact Customer Support with this link.  Monday to Friday, 6:00am-6:00pm PST.

Contact Customer Support

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact?panel=FAB456B04971&skip_unit_select=true

You will get a few options to contact, click Call Us, a new browser window will open with phone number and customer code.

You must be logged into your account and is best on a laptop or desktop.  Phone app sometimes displays unavailable at times.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

There are apparently two versions of the Terminal hardware. The earlier terminals end at software version 3.36 and the newer terminals are currently at software version 4.36. No chance of unifying the UIs.

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Hey @fletc3her,

Thanks for reaching out. I don't think the you've been given here is actually correct - Square does iterate on our hardware over time, however there should not be any difference between how older Terminals and newer Terminals operate, and any Terminal should be able to be updated to the latest version of the software. Have you tried to update it and are you getting any errors when trying to update?

If you can post some pictures of the differences I might be able to get some more context too and figure out what's going on. I'd first need you to update the Terminal though, so if you're being blocked from doing that let me know what the error says!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

There’s no error. It simply says no update is available. If there’s any way to force an update I’d love to know. 

I was told by support the version 1 hardware cannot be updated to the latest release. 

Message 5 of 7
Admin

Hey @fletc3her,

The information you've been given is unfortunately incorrect - I'm sorry about that. I'm following this up with the agent you spoke with, however in the meantime, is the Terminal definitely connected to the internet? And the screen definitely says it's on 3.36?

One other possible reason (and why I've asked for screenshots) is we sometimes trial release new features to X% of devices, which could explain differences - though you'd need to be on the latest version for this to occur.

My best recommendation is to get back in touch with support - there are troubleshooting guides and procedures they should be following to either get you to a fix or help you replace the unit. I've also asked the support agent to reach back out, but being unsure of their schedule it may be faster to get in touch again.

Apologies for the inconvenience here, but hopefully we can either get to the bottom of it or send a replacement if it's not working.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

I’m not wasting any more time on it. If they eventually synchronize so be it. 

Message 7 of 7