x
Beta Member

Discount Based on Percentage Up to Certain Amount

Is there any way to create a discount based on a percentage, but have an upper limit on the amount that can be applied?  For example, a discount of 50% on certain items, but only up to $10 total for the discounted amount...

Dave F.

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

I think the only way to accomplish this is to set up a variable $ discount, then apply that to each item (or the entire sale, however you apply the discount.)  It's clunky and requires checkers to calculate whatever % that you're allowing, so it would be time-consuming too.  However right now there is no way to apply a % discount only up to a certain limit.

Judy T Shumway

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @davefackler!

I don't think there's currently a way to set up this kind of a limit with your discounts.

If you don't mind, could you let us know how this would be helpful to your business specifically?

I'd like to pass it forward as a Feature Request, but wanted to get some more details on how it'd be beneficial to you so it's most impactful. Thank you!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

Two examples:

1.  We want to allow our employees to get a % discount on meals and drinks while they work, but we want to limit the discounted amount to a certain dollar amount.  For example, maybe allow them to get 25% off, but limit that to $5 so that they have to pay for the extra.  So, if an employee has $16 worth of food/drinks while working a shift, then they would get $4 off.  But if they have $24 worth of food/drinks, they would only get $5 off (the limit).

2.  We want to run food specials (on things like wings, sides, etc.) and use a % discount, but have an upper limit so that customers don't abuse the discount.  For example, maybe we have wings for 50% off, but we don't want a customer ordering 50 wings (at 50% off) and then sharing them with his buddies.

There might be other ways to handle both, but a discount code based on a % while also implementing a $ limit seems like it would be easiest to understand and use.

Dave F.

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

@davefackler Yep I definitely see how that would be useful. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this detailed feedback and how it'd work best for you. I think this is a great suggestion and I'm sure you're not the only seller looking for it as well!

Other sellers will be able to add on to this thread too if they look it up so I'll let the Product team know you're looking for this and hopefully other sellers will chime in too on wanting to see this implemented!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

This is something we are super interested in, we have several employees who are currently running a bit wild with our discount policy and would like to have an easier way to restrict this.

Message 5 of 8
Admin

Hey @BCCAnnie ! Thank you for bringing attention to this feature request for discounts. 

There is a way to restrict an employee's permissions for applying discounts to sales. Here is some information on how Team Permissions work, and how you can restrict/manage their discount permissions. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 6 of 8

Just wanted to let you know we would have a need for this also. In a couple of weeks, our town is going to send a coupon card to each household to try to help with COVID sales and they can use it at 1 locally owned store for 30% off a purchase up to $50, so the customer could save any amount up to $15.00. Their purchase could be over $50, but they will only get the 30% off on the first $50.

Message 7 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

I think the only way to accomplish this is to set up a variable $ discount, then apply that to each item (or the entire sale, however you apply the discount.)  It's clunky and requires checkers to calculate whatever % that you're allowing, so it would be time-consuming too.  However right now there is no way to apply a % discount only up to a certain limit.

Judy T Shumway
Message 8 of 8