x

Do I need to create inventory to process a payment?

I just signed up for Square Retail and ordered a reader, but after watching a tutorial I am wondering if I made a big mistake. I only need Square for a tiny percentage of my sales. I sell vintage items so every item is different. If I have to put every single item in my Square inventory in order to quickly process a payment, then it’s way more trouble than it’s worth. Please advise!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Beta Member

Hi Zendelle,

You could probably just get by using the free POS app - Almost all of my items are one of a kind and handmade - there's no way I could use the Inventory feature - like you, that would be way too much trouble.  For example I make hand quilted wall hangings - each unique and one of a kind - basically I setup one item called Wall Hangings - no inventory and no price - when I sell one, I enter the price and item description in the Text box.  Simple and easy.  I also have Fabric Pins, right now I have over 200 of them, no two are the same.  There again I setup an item called Pins with no inventory or price - when I sell one, I just enter the Pin number and price.  The Pin number comes from the photo number as I take pictures of everything I make - this also provides some history as I can look back to see what that particular Pin looked like.   Just some thoughts as my method works quite well for me.

jk

Message 2 of 5

Thank you for sharing your process, I think this will work for me too!

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

Make an Item for each Category of Items you sell if you Want.  Or just make 1 Item called Vintage Items.... For the Price leave them BLANK.   When you ring up a sale you can either type in the Name Vintage Item then Type in the Price or Search for the Name of Item your Selling and then enter the price at the time of the sale.

I am not sure of what Device you are using since the Screens are all a little different.

You can always add a Custom amount as a Price.

On an Apple Device you press the Dots next to Add Customer.... a Pop Up will appear and one of the options is to add a Custom Amount where you can enter the $ amount of the sale.  But for Square reports this will just show as Custom Amount.  If you add Items Like Vintage Clock for Example with No Price you will be asked for the Price.  By doing it this way at least you can see that you sold X Vintage Clocks for example in a year.   You do not have to enter a Quantity and can tell Square to track or Not Track Inventory.  

I am Adding a few Screen shots from My Android Phone:

Android - Enter dollar amount.jpgAndroid - Shows as Custom Amount.jpgAndroid - Enter dollar amount.jpgAndroid Item Named Wholesale Payment.jpgAndroid Entered Amount for Wholesale.jpgAndroid Item Wholesale now shows in reports.jpg

So basically the Custom Amount shows when there is no Item, and Wholesale For ME is a TAX free setting for when my customers also sell my items at a Retail store and there is not one set price for my Wholesale orders since you never know if the Wholesaler will want $500 or $1000 of items.  But you could Create Items like as I mentioned Vintage XYZ so you have an idea what sells better in your store.  Just leave the Price BLANK for items and then you would be prompted for the $ amount.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

You can do this!

First, create an item in your Item Library called "Vintage Item" and don't put the price; like you said, the price is going to vary based on what you are selling. This is called "Variable Amount".

I use the Square Appointments app > Checkout > Tap "Vintage Item" and add the amount you are charging the customer! I am sure it is the same if not even easier on POS.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 5 of 5