x

Do you offer protection for ADA claims against the Online Store?

[The title of this post has been changed from: "accessibility claims" to: Do you offer protection for ADA claims against the Online Store?]

Is there liability protection against accessibility (ADA) claims for the Online Store?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hi @Rob78232! Thanks so much for joining the Seller Community.

The Weebly editor allows for people to create an ADA compatible website, but we're not able to ensure that each customer's website meets those requirements. Like most WYSIWYG editors, the finished site will be as accessible as you make it. Weebly provides all the tools to build an accessible site but you must be aware of the issues and use the tools effectively. However, the editor itself may not be completely compliant, as it requires users to drag and drop elements in order to build the website.

When it comes to building your site, this site has some really helpful information.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 8

Hello! I’m about to open a coffee shop in Manhattan. I’m planning to use square as my pos, with the square ordering website for customers to order for pick up.

I’d like to know if the square online ordering website meets ADA accessibility requirements? 

Message 3 of 8
Admin

Hey @Shweta. Congrats on the coffee shop! 

Take a look at my answer here on ADA compliance. Let us know if you have other questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 8

Can anyone answer the Question regarding ADA Compliance on the Square online store?  Does Square provide us with an ADA Compliant Website and are the marketing emails and texts we are sending ADA Compliant?  I appreciate any feedback or assistance.  Cheers

Message 5 of 8

Message 6 of 8

Oh please! One of these links just goes to the vague and annoying answer from Nika above and the other provides a long list of dos and don't that i had no clue about when I set up my website.   I've now been sued and I feel betrayed that the template you gave us didn't already handle this issue.

Message 7 of 8

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal law in the United States that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. In the context of online stores and websites, ADA compliance refers to making digital content accessible to individuals with disabilities, including those with visual, auditory, cognitive, or motor impairments.

While the ADA itself does not explicitly outline specific guidelines for website accessibility, courts have increasingly interpreted the law to apply to websites and online stores. As a result, businesses, including online stores, have faced legal claims and lawsuits alleging ADA non-compliance if their websites are not accessible to individuals with disabilities.

To protect against ADA claims, online store owners should consider taking proactive steps to ensure their websites are accessible. This might involve:

1. Conducting Accessibility Audits: Perform accessibility audits to identify potential barriers on the website that may hinder users with disabilities.

2. Implementing Accessibility Guidelines: Adopt accessibility guidelines, such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), to make the website more inclusive and accessible.

3. Providing Alternative Content: Offer alternative text for images, closed captions for videos, and other features to accommodate different needs.

4. Testing with Assistive Technologies: Test the website using various assistive technologies to verify its accessibility.

5. Training Staff: Educate staff members involved in website development, content creation, and maintenance about accessibility best practices.

6. Updating Policies: Include accessibility policies on the website to demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity.

It's important to note that while implementing accessibility measures can reduce the risk of ADA claims, it may not provide absolute protection. Courts have handled ADA claims against websites on a case-by-case basis, and various factors can influence the outcome.

To gain a better understanding of your specific legal obligations and potential liability protection, it is highly recommended to consult with legal counsel specializing in accessibility and ADA compliance. They can provide tailored advice based on the current laws and regulations applicable to your jurisdiction and industry.

For more information check this: https://yardgearsguide.com/how-to-train-wisteria-on-a-pergola/

Message 8 of 8