x

Does Kindle Fire HD 8 work with Square chip and magstripe readers?

Need Help...need to buy a tablet to use with my square chip and magstripe readers....what do I buy. I like Kindle Fire HD 8. Any help would be great!

Message 1 of 24
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Does Kindle Fire HD 8 work with Square chip and magstripe readers?

@jujubee6 The Kindle Fire is not compatible with our Magstripe reader, or our Chip Card reader unfortunately, as Square is only compatible with the Android or Apple Operating Systems. 

Per our Magnetic and Chip Card Reader Compatibility Page:

The Square magstripe and chip card readers are compatible with most Apple iOS and Android devices running the latest software versions.

We don’t currently support:

• BlackBerry devices
  • Windows devices
  • Non-mobile devices, such as laptop and desktop computers
  • Unreleased or beta software versions for your device
  • Amazon Kindle devices

Additionally, per our Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Compatibility Page:

The Square contactless and chip reader is supported on iOS and Android devices with the following:

• The latest software version: Android 5.0 or above, and the latest iOS 9.0 or above.
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Kindle Fires are not Officially supported.  I use and recommend iPads, they just released a brand new one last month that has a good spec bump and dropped the price to #329 (I saw it on sale for less than $299 at stores).  iPads are a bit more expensive but last like a tank and even hold quite a bit of their value and are supported by apple for many years (5+ years whereas some cheapo Android models come with a 3-year-old operating system and no upgrade path).  I still have a working iPad 1 from 7 years ago.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Super Seller

Best Answer

Kindle Fires are not Officially supported.  I use and recommend iPads, they just released a brand new one last month that has a good spec bump and dropped the price to #329 (I saw it on sale for less than $299 at stores).  iPads are a bit more expensive but last like a tank and even hold quite a bit of their value and are supported by apple for many years (5+ years whereas some cheapo Android models come with a 3-year-old operating system and no upgrade path).  I still have a working iPad 1 from 7 years ago.

Message 2 of 24

You say they're not officially supported, but what if I don't have an iPad?  What if I'm unable to buy an iPad? What if I don't have a real cell phone?  What if I'm doing crafts for an income and the kindle is the only thing I have?   So back to the original question - will it work with a Kindle Fire HD 8?

Message 3 of 24
Square Community Moderator

@jujubee6 The Kindle Fire is not compatible with our Magstripe reader, or our Chip Card reader unfortunately, as Square is only compatible with the Android or Apple Operating Systems. 

Per our Magnetic and Chip Card Reader Compatibility Page:

The Square magstripe and chip card readers are compatible with most Apple iOS and Android devices running the latest software versions.

We don’t currently support:

• BlackBerry devices
  • Windows devices
  • Non-mobile devices, such as laptop and desktop computers
  • Unreleased or beta software versions for your device
  • Amazon Kindle devices

Additionally, per our Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Compatibility Page:

The Square contactless and chip reader is supported on iOS and Android devices with the following:

• The latest software version: Android 5.0 or above, and the latest iOS 9.0 or above.
Message 4 of 24

Apparently, Kindle users are second class persons not deserving to use the square reader.  Thanks Apple!

Message 5 of 24

I am NOT a second class citizen. You obviously have issues. God Bless You!

Message 6 of 24

Why did you thank Apple? Its not apples fault. 

Message 7 of 24

LHK:  Did you buy the kindle?   Does it work?  I just added a response to the guy who responded to you.  He didn't really answer your question.  It may not be supported, but does it work?  That's what I want to know.   It's my only option if I want to sell at fairs etc.  So if you bought the kindle fire HD 8, I'd really like to know.    Thanks.

Message 8 of 24

I got it to work on my kindle!!!!  I'm so happy, I don't have a smart phone or an ipad but with a little research was able to download an app and it works.  I'm no computer tech either.

Message 9 of 24

how were you able to download the app?  I also have a kindle tablet and I am trying to download square app

Message 10 of 24

Glad to hear you got the square reader to work with your Kindle Fire. Could you please share step by step how you did it? I'm stuck and am unable to find anything. Your help would be appreciated. I am trying to start selling my crafts. Thank you!!

Message 11 of 24

I'm sorry, just saw this message.  Honestly I don't remember how I downloaded it.  I do have the point  of sale app on my kindle and it still works.  I'm not tech savvy but was able to download it.   I will see if I can figure out how I did it and will let you kni know.

Message 12 of 24

Hey I was cleaning out my desk and I found some old notes and I think these may help you!   I don't remember the exact steps and this address may be wrong, but it's worth a try. [redacted] apkplz.com  This address may be wrong as I downloaded this a while back. download the app

On my notes, and I apologize I don't remember what these notes mean:  I assume it's how to take a credit card if you don't have access to internet.

menu

settings >offline

enter manually

complet #

exp date

CVV#

zip code

Message 13 of 24

The Square POS app is not available in the Amazon Appstore, so no Square reader will work with a stock Fire tablet.

My Fire HD8 has the Google services and the Google Play Store sideloaded. (It's not difficult; a number of sites will tell you how to do it.) I installed the Square app that way and it works perfectly with my contactless reader. I haven't been able to test the mag stripe reader yet because I have misplaced mine; I haven't needed to use it for ages and it doesn't work with my current phone.

It may also be possible to sideload the Square app by itself without Google Play. I haven't tried that.

Message 14 of 24

The Kindle Fire is based on Android - or to better state it - Runs a version of Android. Square is just not posting the app on the Amazon App Store for some reason.

Here is a link to one of many explaining how to get Google Play on your Kindle Fire.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

This whole thing would be moot if Square just listed their app with Amazon App store.

Black Friday at BestBuy this year had 10" Kindle Fire HD for sale at $99. Not enabeling their product on something that could run it is just limiting their sales of the product.

Message 15 of 24

@ShirleyMarquez Did you have to do something extra to get it to work? I have the Play Store running on my HD 8 and was able to install the Square App too. But when I try to connect to my contactless reader I get a "Device not Supported" error. Wondering if you got that and how you got past it?

Message 16 of 24

I have not had any issues with the HD 10 so far.

But you raise a good question.

Since Square supports Android and the Fire is an Android operating system, let’s ask their development team why this Android device is not supported.

Square compatibility page:

https://squareup.com/compatibility?platform=Android&brand=Other+brand

The only requirement is Android 4.4+.

Square, care to toss in your 2 cents why you are not compatible with this Android running recent OS version 5.x and newer?

Previous Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7XQp_TOOg

Kindle Fire HD Info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HD

Fire HD8 and HD10 run Fire OS 5 which is part of the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop under the hood. The experience is customized like one would adjust colors, backgrounds, sounds, icons, etc. on a windows or apple device. It’s like adding a Skin for the operating system, but the underlying kernel and architecture are the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS#List_of_Fire_OS_versions

I suspect that a developer overlooked the OS self-defining itself version when the Fire calls itself Fire OS 5 and never planned to really support AOSP Android versions that still meet their minimum requirements. This is however remedied by simply querying the kernel version instead of the OS name which would be the smarter and future proof option in my opinion.

Message 17 of 24

@smash102 I actually got the Square App running very easily after installing the Google Play Store. And I can use it with a regular mag swipe reader too. But I want to be able to use the new contactless reader for chip and pin cards. Every time I try to connect the Fire to the contactless reader it connects almost immediately via bluetooth, but then gives me a "Device not Compatible" error.

Since @ShirleyMarquez said that she got hers running easily so I'm curious to know if it's a problem with my reader, the newest Fire OS, or something else?

Message 18 of 24
Beta Member

Amazon had released its own version of square. I don' think it's square that doesn't want their app on kindle but the ither way around. I think since Amazon has their own version, they'e pulling an apple move and trying to force people to their product instead of something else. Tho im pretty sure it failed, so no reason to keep blocking the square app

Message 19 of 24

Shirley isnt telling the whole story. You can easily install the newest version of the Square POS app, known as an .APK file in Android talk, but when you go to pair the contactless reader it will momentarily pair followed by an error to Re-Install the App.  So it is NOT compatible at this point unless there's some trickery to get around that issue.  I use a double OTG cable to connect a USB stick with my loaded apps onto my FireHD tablets, so that part is easy, and you can get the .apk file itself from many safe sources by simply using Google and searching for the Square POS .apk file.  But be careful you get the correct file when installing it you'll see the correct Square Icon.  Hope this helps.

Message 20 of 24
Beta Member

Hello, 

I wanted to give everyone a heads up on the BETA version.   

I bought a Fire to use w/square last fall, but started.   I tried the Beta Version, which is nicer than the normal, but it would not connect to the reader.   

Then downloaded the normal regular Square App.   The chip reader found it immediately.   It works perfect.  

Does that mean very soon it will not work.   People's businesses suddenly not work, seems like a way to alienate customers.

I reinstalled the Beta.  Since, I am already connected to the reader is see it also.   I wont risk  un-pairing it and trying it on Beta again.  Tomorrow, but not tonight.    Maybe it's just a Beta glitch, that will be fixes.  I won't be surprised if it does suddenly stop working on day.

It makes sense, Amazon has not negotiated the rights to offer it on their tablets.   So, Square might try to keep us from using it. 

Amazon has the Apple mentality, "Adobe Flash, never heard of it."    If its not an Amazon app or built to make Amazon money, then it's not worth it.    

It became apparent after buying the Fire, it was built for one reason, to sell you stuff.   From books to toilet paper.  

They should come up with their own POS app.     Adding even more products without adding floor space.   If it's a good idea, they are already working on it.    

Message 21 of 24