x

Does Square Reader work with a Windows computer or laptop?

I have wasted Money it seems, im trying to use my PC as a POS yet the computer driver error comes up for Windows ? I was told by a shop i needed a Hub, so now i have $59 and $49 of items not working. 

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @OnpointAuto,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you've had trouble setting up.

Square Readers will unfortunately not work with Windows computers or laptops.

Square Reader is used in conjunction with our mobile Point of Sale app that runs on compatible iOS and Android based mobile devices. We don't currently support Windows or other forms of PCs or laptops, and don't have any plans to in the future.

It sounds like you might have been given incorrect information by a retailer here? Hub for Terminal is an accessory for Square Terminal that will connect receipt printers and cash drawers to Terminal - it won't connect a reader to a PC.

If the hardware is not fit for purposes I recommend returning it to the retailer for a refund! Otherwise you can still use the $59 Square Reader on a mobile device, it sounds like either way you won't need that hub though!

Sorry for the experience you've had here, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @OnpointAuto,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you've had trouble setting up.

Square Readers will unfortunately not work with Windows computers or laptops.

Square Reader is used in conjunction with our mobile Point of Sale app that runs on compatible iOS and Android based mobile devices. We don't currently support Windows or other forms of PCs or laptops, and don't have any plans to in the future.

It sounds like you might have been given incorrect information by a retailer here? Hub for Terminal is an accessory for Square Terminal that will connect receipt printers and cash drawers to Terminal - it won't connect a reader to a PC.

If the hardware is not fit for purposes I recommend returning it to the retailer for a refund! Otherwise you can still use the $59 Square Reader on a mobile device, it sounds like either way you won't need that hub though!

Sorry for the experience you've had here, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 9

Hi just wondering if there's any point trying to run Square online on a windows 10 tablet and expect terminal, cash drawer, receipt printer and scanner to work?

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hey @Colbo,

I've moved your message to this thread where we've got a little more info on this - in short though, unfortunately our POS app and connected hardware will not work with Windows based devices. Sorry to be the bearer of bad new here!

You can view a list of iOS and Android mobile devices we've tested as compatible with Square here and compatible hardware/accessories here.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 9

I use square at mobile locations bu connecting with my phone.

I also use square in the shop and would like square device to be able to connect to my square virtual terminal and on the PC which I thought it could do via bluetooth. can you please consider this forthe future.

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Thanks for your message @wilmawalnut!

I've moved your post to this thread where a few sellers have asked similar questions.

I agree it would be handy to connect the reader to a PC, though unfortunately there are no plans to do this at the moment.

Doing something like this would require a physical PIN pad on the hardware for security purposes - while our readers are approved for use with "PIN on Glass" via our secure mobile app, the same can't be said for use on a computer. To use the reader we'd need to have a way for users to enter a PIN, and as far as I'm aware there is no PCI approved way of doing this via a computer keyboard.

For now you'll have to to continue using the reader with your phone when there's a card present to be read, however you can still enter manually keyed payments via the Virtual Terminal on your online dashboard if you're taking a payment over the phone.

Thanks you though for the feedback, and let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 9

Can we virtualise an android on the PC to then connect via bluetooth?

Message 7 of 9

I downloaded BlueStacks, got the Square app from the app store, attempted to connect to bluetooth without success.

It may be possible, but I didn't manage.

Seems like a situation many people would assume could be resolved fairly easily.... is it a security issue stopping the devs from implementing connectivity to PC?

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @HungryTradie, at this time, the Square app and reader only connect to compatible phones, or tablets. Check out Seamus' answer in this thread for more information on why the app can't be used on a computer. 

Message 9 of 9