x

Does Square allow or handle currency conversion for international customers?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Does Square Allow or Do Currency Conversion?

Hello everyone! I'm very happy that I'm able to accept Credit/Debit cards by using Square. I never thought to ask this, but I do have this one question:

Does Square allow or even do currency conversion?

I need to know because on my art website, I allow differnt currencies from a few different countries to come to my website and pay with PayPal. My selected countries are United Kingdom, Candada, Japan, and Ireland.

If I have someone from the United Kingdom that wanted to purchase an artwork with their credit/debit card, and they paid me by using Pounds, I would need to be able to convert that into US Dollars. That would be the same with Japanese Yen, Canadian Dollars, and Euros.

Thanks so much for your time. 

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @JCrockettArt1

All Square charges are made in the currency of your country of activation (USD for you), and your customers bank does the currency conversion. 

So less work for you 🙌🏼

It's also good to remember that when an internationally-issued card is charged or refunded, the cardholder may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. 

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

My customer is in Canada. 

My prices are listed in US currency. 

Will Square convert charge and payment? 

Message 2 of 41
Square

@Nylashlady - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post! 🎉  As for your question, Square doesn't do any currency conversions. That would be up to the customer's bank. All charges are made in the currency of your country of activation (USD for you). Hope this helps!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 41
Beta Member

Just run the card as normal. You won't see any difference on your end. The customers bank will convert the money but for you, nothing is different. You'll get your money like normal with no extra fees 

Message 4 of 41

Best Answer

Hi @JCrockettArt1

All Square charges are made in the currency of your country of activation (USD for you), and your customers bank does the currency conversion. 

So less work for you 🙌🏼

It's also good to remember that when an internationally-issued card is charged or refunded, the cardholder may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Message 5 of 41

Thanks so much, EJ_. This helps me and any international customer that may want to buy. With the Holidays coming around the corner, this is great information to know. 

Thanks again for your time and response.

Message 6 of 41

You're welcome @JCrockettArt1 and let me know if you need anything else!

Message 7 of 41

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: When sending invoice to Canada

When sending invoice to Canada will it calculate the exchange,% 

Message 8 of 41
Admin

Hi @Huggers_15, I've moved your post to this thread so you can read the Best Answer to this question

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 41

I want to change from Canadian to US dollars but I'm unable to do so. I disabled my credit card payment methods thinking I would be able to change it that way but it's just not working for me. Would anyone be able to help or have any ideas? I'm not having any luck over the phone either.

Message 10 of 41

Hi there, @domniksave 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are excited that you took the jump and joined us here. Welcome! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding currency conversion and Square. Take a look at this Best Answer from EJ, it should get you where you need to be. 

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 41

Hi everyone, I am new to square platform. I wanted to confirm if I can send an invoice and accept payments in Great Britain Pounds even though my business is US based and the currency for my account is also USD? I checked out the invoice page, but it does not give me the option to change the currency. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Message 12 of 41

Hi @proprinting 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us - welcome!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding conversion of currency. Take a look at this Best Answer from EJ for more insight! Let us know if you have any clarifying questions.

Cheers!

Joe
Message 13 of 41

I have a US client who has paid with a US credit card.  I have a USD borderless account here at TD in Canada.  I put in that information to transfer the funds.  Is this going to work?  It has been a day already and the funds have not been transferred.  Can someone please explain if this will work and how it works exactly?

thanks!

Message 14 of 41

Hi there, @kirsonj 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding currency conversion when processing through Square. Take a look at this Best Answer from EJ - he will help clarify.

In regards to the delayed transfer of your funds, we aren't able to actually see account-specific information here from the Community. We would recommend reaching out to our Support Team, they can take a look into your account for you and see what the hold up is.

Joe
Message 15 of 41

does square accept Canadian credit cards and convert funds to Us funds?

Message 16 of 41

Hello @dalevenhuizen

You can accept international cards using Square Point of Sale. Just make sure to charge your customer the amount you want to receive in USD on the app. The customers credit card will automatically change from CAD to USD and if there are any exchange fees they will be applied on the customers end. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 😀

Message 17 of 41

I understand that transactions can only be processed in the currency of the country. We are in Canada, and will be selling our product to American customers, who would prefer to deal in USD. Our CDN bank account can have a USD Funds account. Could I link my Square account to that account and then have the transactions processing USD? 

Message 18 of 41

Hi there, @mmuch 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

We can help clarify! I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding international currency. Take a look at this Best Answer from more information!

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions!

Joe
Message 19 of 41

So, I created a Canadian account and realized that you cannot charge different currencies so I was going to then change over to a US account but found out you cannot change the location of your account. 

From there I did some looking around and the suggestion was to create a US based account, so I did. In that lays the problem of having requirements of a US address to verify. Is there a way to verify you US account as a Canadian without a US address?

Why is this so difficult for someone to use who does freelance work? Paypal is **bleep** and I'm looking for alternatives and this is starting to look like another failed choice...

PS: I feel like this whole situation is dumb just allow people to charge different currencies... 

Message 20 of 41

I completely agree. Charging different currencies can be done easily with PayPal. Please consider allowing this feature. Many of us have international customer bases and they won't like having to pay for currency conversion fees when paying for bills. We as merchants are happy to pay this conversion fee to Square, on the other hand.

Message 21 of 41