x

Does Square allow or handle currency conversion for international customers?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Does Square Allow or Do Currency Conversion?

Hello everyone! I'm very happy that I'm able to accept Credit/Debit cards by using Square. I never thought to ask this, but I do have this one question:

Does Square allow or even do currency conversion?

I need to know because on my art website, I allow differnt currencies from a few different countries to come to my website and pay with PayPal. My selected countries are United Kingdom, Candada, Japan, and Ireland.

If I have someone from the United Kingdom that wanted to purchase an artwork with their credit/debit card, and they paid me by using Pounds, I would need to be able to convert that into US Dollars. That would be the same with Japanese Yen, Canadian Dollars, and Euros.

Thanks so much for your time. 

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @JCrockettArt1

All Square charges are made in the currency of your country of activation (USD for you), and your customers bank does the currency conversion. 

So less work for you 🙌🏼

It's also good to remember that when an internationally-issued card is charged or refunded, the cardholder may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. 

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Hi @Ting,

Thanks for writing in and adding your vote to this feature request! We're continuously advocating for the suggestions you leave here, and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. 

We'll be sure to share an update here as soon as we have news to share.

PS. Welcome to the community, I noticed this is your first post 😊 

Message 22 of 41

I am in Canada trying to process US CC. Do I enter the US conversion or just the CDN amount when charging?

Message 23 of 41

Hi @KISSProductions and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to one of the existing threads that answers this.

Check out the Best Answer above for details!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 41

Customer owes $1,200 USD, is that the amount I should enter as the payment amount or convert the USD amount to CND and then enter the CND amount?

Message 25 of 41
Alumni

Hi @SRS1 - If you are a merchant within Canada, all of your payments are taken as CND so you would need to enter in the amount in CND in order to get paid the correct amount. If the customer is from the US, they will just pay as normal and their bank will handle the conversion from USD to CND.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 26 of 41

Hi we do coaching capsules on the net we dont send any goods out ou Canada Can we accept other currency as Euros directly true Square in our Canadian account 

Thank's  Marcel Boyer 

Message 27 of 41

Hi @Emotionreset

I've moved your post over to this existing thread. 

Check out the best answer and let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Message 28 of 41

If you are based in Canada, but have an US bank account with a Canadian bank, can you accept US payments to that US account without having to take into consideration the exchange rate? Will purchases all be considered CDN because of our location?

Message 29 of 41

Hi @john4! Yes, all purchases will be considered Canadian since you are still located in Canada when the purchases are made. 

Since all payments you accept must be processed in CAD, you will need to link a Canadian bank account that operates in CAD. At this time, you’re unable to link a CA bank account that processes funds in Canadian dollars.

However, you can process internationally-issued cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express logo.

Also, you don't have to worry about exchange rates when accepting international cards since your customers will be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer.

AshleyK
Message 30 of 41

Hey guys

I've signed up for a square account to send invoices to customers living in different countries.
I've also used a Canadian address for my physical location. 

After a quick test, I realized that the invoices are in CAD. I wonder how I can send the invoices in USD so whatever currency my customers are using would convert in US dollar on my square account.
Thanks in advance

Message 31 of 41

Hey @ibtacer

Thank you for reaching out in the Community! 

The invoice will always be sent in the currency of your business. Whenever the customer pays it- they will be charged in their own currency. Also, they will have to pay the exchange rate according to their bank or credit card company. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 32 of 41

We run an online business from Canada and have customers internationally. Should we convert our sale to their currency and bill them that way? 

Message 33 of 41
Alumni

Hi there @DavidH 👋 EJ explained how this works here within the thread you've posted into:

All Square charges are made in the currency of your country of activation, and your customers bank does the currency conversion. 

Neither you nor your customer need to worry about currency conversion, as it will happen automatically when they make a payment. Your customer's bank will determine the conversion rate and include any applicable conversion fees into the converted amount. I hope this helps clarify 

Valentina
Message 34 of 41

I am trying to change my account currency to USD, we are based out of Canada however 90% of our customer base is in USA. We would like to set up our account to show USD but I can't find that option anywhere. I also tried reaching out to support and there is no phone number anywhere on the website. I also tried (?) Help link in the dashboard but when I click Ask Support nothing happens there is a glitch of some sort.

Can someone from Square please contact me ?

Thank you

Message 35 of 41

Hi @SneakerSeller! Thanks for reaching out. I've merged your post to an existing thread, but basically this is a feature request. Currency is not able to be changed from the country of activation so since you are a CA based company you will only be able to set your prices in CA dollars. I will push your feedback forward though and I hope you have a great day.

AshleyK
Message 36 of 41

Which currency is an invoice processed in if we are in Canada and the client is in the US?

Message 37 of 41
Alumni

Processed in CAD. Your customer's card issuer will take care of the currency conversion. 

Looks like a similar question was answered on this thread

@mnn-to

Justin
Message 38 of 41

Hi! I am in Canada and have a client in the US. Is there a way to change the currency on the invoice? 

I sent the invoice in CAD and thought it would automatically convert to USD, but they are saying the amount didn't change on their end.

Message 39 of 41

Hi @grittynurse and welcome to the Seller Community! 👋

At this time, all payments processed on your Square account would be processed in the currency of the country of activation -- in your case Canada (CAD). Your customer's bank would be the one in charge of doing the currency conversion. 

I've moved your post to a thread where others have been curious about the same thing. 

JJ
Message 40 of 41

As mentioned above, I'm in canada but I am dealing with US customers. I just want to list my items in USD and not have to convert from the back end and worry about dollars and cents.  I want my items listed as a flat dollar amount and not a weird number in USD. When can I just list in USD? Shouldn't be that hard...

Message 41 of 41